CHAPTER 5 - FIRST TIME

Brave was dead. The dark, fluffy ball had stopped breathing. I recall getting him to the vet after calling for a driver. As per the doctor, he had fading puppy syndrome and was fortunate to have lived this long. Since I was so preoccupied with my schedule, I wasn't even aware if anything was wrong with him. The symptoms wouldn't become obvious until it was too late.

I felt distraught. Guilt was tearing me apart as I brought Brave back to the village, and I requested permission from the house owner to bury him in the backyard, to which he agreed wholeheartedly. I wished to mourn so badly, however there were people around, and I did not want to look weak. It was a habit I always practiced. I despised others seeing my frailty, so I pretended to be tough no matter how severe the situation was.

I stood there silently while two guys assisted me in digging a grave in the garden, and Carla and Brenda brought flowers. Few people were aware of Brave's existence, but those who did knew him, came to wish him farewell.

I claimed to be well as usual, and when Carla asked whether I was alright, I answered that I was fine as I had only known the dog for around three weeks.

"Besides, I figured I'd have to leave him here after the shoot was through. It was only a short-term commitment."

That's exactly what I said, and everyone believed it. None noticed the red mark on my lip as I bit down hard to refrain from sobbing when they lowered Brave's body and blanketed him with grit. I was planning to get him registered and take him back with me.

Soon, it was just me and the mound of dirt, and I continued to remain there, gazing at it.

"He was a wonderful dog."

I turned around to find an unknown man standing on the lawn, staring intently in the direction of the burial site. I had seen him somewhere else before but couldn't remember where.

"Thank you. And, pardon me, but how do you know him?"

He appeared surprised by my lack of recognition, but then scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.

"I work with the Art Team. I was the one who drove you to the vet on that day."

My mouth made a little ooh when I identified his voice. The body frame, too, matched him well, and even though he wasn't wearing a mask anymore, I could tell it was definitely him.

"I am really sorry. I tried to find you but couldn't. Thank you so much, though. You were a great help to me that day. However, I don't believe it has any significance anymore."

I blinked several times, trying not to break down in tears in front of this total stranger. I needed him to leave immediately. I didn't think I could keep being strong after seeing the person with whom I found Brave. The memories were too vivid and hard to bear.

"It's getting late. I guess I'll see you on set."

I pretended to smile, expecting him to leave.

"Who said there is no significance? Unlike his brothers, at least he died happy."

My breathing caught in my chest as I battled to suppress a whimper from bursting forth.

"Yeah. I'm sleepy, so you should go."

I said, not caring about manners anymore. I was acting like a bitch even though I knew he had helped me, but I couldn't help it. I was dying for some privacy.

"You'll be his first and last love. I'd say he was fortunate, if you ask me."

The first drop of tears came from my left eye even before I realized it. I don't know what this dude was playing at. However, I was both furious and desperate.