CHAPTER 20 - RED FLAG

I have been glaring at myself in the large rectangular mirror for the past fifteen minutes, unsuccessfully trying to knock some sense into me. The warm light behind me flickered from time to time, prompting my shadow to sway regardless of the fact that I was motionless like a marble.

"You're acting like a real bitch. You have no desire to date him, so why in the world are you acting this way?"

The woman standing on the opposite end stared at me dismissively, her spiteful expression still resting on her face. She was such a lost cause. I flung my arms in the air in frustration, furious at myself.

"River, come on. Really, what is the matter with you? In all of these years, you've never allowed your impulses to drive you. Ergo, get a hold of yourself. You've been a virgin for far too long, and that's the reason for your dumb behavior. Quit acting like a drama queen and get back on track."

Nope, she wasn't paying any attention. In fact, she appeared much worse than before. I was getting ready to throw her another lecture when the door swung open and I leaped away from the washbasin, my hand placed above my pounding heart. 'That girl' was standing next to the entrance, her forehead wrinkled in befuddlement.

"I am sorry. Did I scare you?"

I thought of answering her, 'Yeah, so please get out,' but instead just smiled. She was plainly being cordial, and acting like a bitch will only contribute to making me look like a fool. Moreover, why should I get upset with her? I wasn't even certain whether she had been Eugene's girlfriend, crush, or whatever in the past. Truth be told, I had only been jumping to conclusions for the past hour.

"No, it's alright. I didn't expect to see anyone. Sorry, but I forgot what your name was..."

I said, not quite forgetting it, but was unable to pronounce it. Her name was so complex that it sounded like a tongue twister when she said it back while everyone was introducing themselves. To be frank, I could not really recite any of their names.

"You can just call me Juan."

She stated as she walked straight up to the sink and set down her purse over the granite.

"Juan."

I murmured to myself when I watched her pull out the compact powder and delicately apply it to her cheeks. She was well-dressed and looked like an actual woman that men desired. And then there was me.

"Eugene is extremely blessed. He always got what he wanted. Whether it's his education, his preferred university, his career, or even the girl."

Once she concluded, her eyes locked on mine in the reflection, and I pinched my eyebrows together. Is this the scenario in which the male protagonist's ex-girlfriend threatens the female protagonist to stay away from him and unveil her real personality? However, I was not quite the female lead here.

"Why are you telling me all of this?"

I asked, supporting myself against the wall and keeping my gaze fixed on hers'. Juan's comments were cryptic, yet she certainly didn't appear to be angry. In truth, she was indifferent, and it sounded as though she was simply expressing facts.

"Eugene and I dated for a couple of months. But we ended things before we had a chance to invest our emotions."

"Why?"

I wanted to punch myself for bothering to respond, yet I found myself intrigued. I was interested in finding out why they had split up. I wanted to know how Eugene was as a lover. I wanted to know what he looked for in a woman. I felt embarrassed for having such thoughts, but I couldn't help it.

"Because..."

We were both startled when the door opened again, interrupting our conversation at once. Eugene stood in the doorway, panting, his attention bouncing between the two of us before settling on the other woman.