CHAPTER 33 - SURPRISE ELEMENTS

Over the span of another twelve exciting days, the rhythm of our lives grew increasingly chaotic as we tirelessly tiptoed through both the sunlit hours and the inky darkness. By now, Eugene has become a master of inventing fresh excuses for each night spent with me, skillfully handling the questions and concerns posed by his acquaintances. Fortuitously, his roommates chose to respect his privacy, casting no inquisitive glances his way and raising minimal suspicions, which further eased our covert endeavors.

The shooting of the film was nearing completion, with just about a month left before we could move on to the post-production phase. While the film was only halfway through, there were still several tasks to be accomplished, such as editing, creating teasers, composing the end music, managing marketing and distribution, and handling a lot of other hectic work. However, the silver lining was that we no longer had to go around different locations and delay the actual shooting process. This meant that I wouldn't be as overwhelmed, especially since we had the support of a highly skilled professional editor. Additionally, Nathaniel would also need to assist me more, as I am just an assistant and still relatively new to the industry.

As the cameras rolled and the director shouted "cut," a wave of relief washed over the entire crew. We had conquered the most challenging scenes, leaving only the simpler ones behind. The tension that once filled the air seemed to dissipate, replaced by a sense of ease and relaxation. We even bid temporary goodbyes to some of our actors, knowing their parts were complete. With each scene we wrapped, the location became less and less crowded, as if breathing a collective sigh of relief alongside us. The journey was far from over, but the weight on our shoulders had lightened, paving the way for smooth sailing ahead.

"I am planning on flying down to Los Angeles tomorrow. I will be returning in three days."

Carla stated while she and I strolled back to our respective cottages, her voice laced with a mix of relief and satisfaction. She only had two more scenes to shoot, and those too weren't scheduled consecutively. So she had a lot of spare time in hand for a short while, which I was glad for. Observing her closely, it was easy to notice how her skin had acquired a radiant tan, acting as proof of the hours spent under the scorching sun, immersed in her job. Not only that, she seemed to have shed a few pounds, a substantial indication of the immense dedication she had poured into portraying this demanding role. Truly, Carla had gone above and beyond, fully drowning herself in her character's psyche. And sometimes, even long after the director yelled "cut," she often remained in the fantasy world, which was quite common for experienced actors.

In the world of acting, the process of transforming into a character can be a double-edged sword. While it lends authenticity and depth to their portrayal, it can also leave a lasting imprint on the actors themselves, sticking around long after the production. Witnessing Carla's drained countenance, bearing the undeniable burden of her tireless dedication, I find myself fervently praying that her immense efforts will earn the praise she deserves. As both an assistant director and a writer, this was an unsettling fear that gnawed at me. Actors are consistently placed under the harshest scrutiny when a movie fails to meet expectations, often facing blame for their choices in scripts or any other factor leading to disappointment. As the visible face of a film, they bear the weight of its success or failure, driving the increasing demand for them to cater to fans' needs. Such a responsibility is by no means a walk in the park. Being a writer, my paramount duty was to exercise the utmost caution, refrain from discrediting their efforts, and understand the delicate nature of their role.

"For just three days? Why? Are there any issues?"

I questioned, diverting my focus from my ever-present musings.

"Naah, it's the special occasion of our six-month anniversary, and I want to celebrate it with him together. Xander has always been so thoughtful and surprises me with his gestures, while I realize that I haven't done much in return. It's important for me to reciprocate and show my emotions and appreciation in order to maintain the dynamism of our relationship. Besides, I simply love seeing his wide eyes when he sees me first thing in the morning. I swear he's going to freak out."