Understanding herself

Wednesday stepped into the hall, taking her shoes off her feet, and placing them on the cold floor. But in the air, she already caught a scent of very spicy food being prepared.

That made her walk to the kitchen, where her mother stood, stirring occasionally the thing she was preparing.

"Mother," Wednesday said, sitting down at the dining table. Her mother turned around and smiled at her.

"Yes, Wednesday?" She asked, not bringing up why she went away the moment she came back.

"Is it possible that my visions are...false?" Wednesday said, trying to find the words that wouldn't make her sound weak.

Her mother turned back around, turned the gas off, and put the spoon down next to the pot.

"Wednesday...well, it's possible, but very unlikely." Her mother told her, not turning around to face her.

"So there is the possibility." "Yes, there is. But you shouldn't be pleased about it." Her mother said, turning around. "Your visions are sadly meant to be dark, negative, bringing bad things into your life. And they will be all real."

"The joy they will bring and already brought me is irreplaceable," Wednesday said and got down from the table, and walked away from the kitchen, heading upstairs to her room, which was the only thing she missed in this house.

Her room brought her joy...not the happy one. It was her comfort zone, a place where it was like she wanted; silence, dark, and empty.

She knew beforehand that speaking to her mother about something would lead to a lecture by her or her dad, but was surprised at how she took it - suspiciously calm.

"Maybe I should talk to my mother about this more," Wednesday told herself, sitting down on her bed. Thing jumped on the bed, and Wednesday looked at him.

'Why didn't you tell your mother what happened in the vision?' Thing signed.

"Firstly, I got the answer I needed, and secondly, why should I?" Wednesday said and looked at Thing, who waited for Wednesday to continue.

"The vision was about Enid for some reason." The girl continued. "It was in Nevermore, and I was...crying."

'Why?' "For some reason, I don't know. The vision mentioned Enid not returning to Nevermore, and you were going to get her back." Wednesday finished.

Thing gave her a thumbs up. But Wednesday heard a knock on the door in her room.

"Come in." The girl said as the wooden door screeched open, revealing her mother. Wednesday sighed, as the tall dove stepped inside, closing the door behind her.

"Wednesday, sweetheart," Morticia said, coming closer to the raven. Wednesday was slightly surprised hearing Morticia calling her "sweetheart".

"Yes, mother?" "I want to talk about our conversation before." Morticia began, and Wednesday, politely, moved slightly to the side, allowing her mother to take a seat on her bed. Morticia said down, smiling at Thing, who waved at her.

"What I only meant was that your visions are meant to be true." Morticia continued. "But it could also change depending on the current problems you face."

"So if I was dying, then I will get very real visions?" "Not exactly," Morticia said, and took out a photo from her dress, and gave it to Wednesday.

"That's Goody, days before Crackstone burned her mother in the shed," Morticia explained. "She was the same as you; a raven."

And now she is inside me. Wednesday thought, not wanting to tell her mother about the stab.

"And she had the same visions as you; sometimes false. But what Goody had, that she told her mother the same day this picture was made, that her visions were also positive." Morticia told her.

"So Goody and I have some connection." "It might be that," Morticia added. "But I want you to know that I am here for you anytime you'll need someone to talk to about them." 

"Thank you, mother." "I love you Wednesday. Oh, and dinner is waiting for you downstairs." Morticia said and stood up. Still inside her was a hope that Wednesday would show some kind of affection towards her, at least a hug.

"Alright," Wednesday replied, as her mother walked out of the room. It left Wednesday thinking if because what happened between her and Goody made her experience the current problems or something else.

She stood up from her bed and moved to her suitcases which were sitting beside the table. Wednesday opened the one suitcase where her clothes were but immediately saw one thing she shouldn't even have.

It was a black snood.

There was no idea in her head how could Enid have the time to do the snood again. And why would the blonde girl even do it for Wednesday after what she did to it last time? But since she found it now, she actually wanted to wear it.

It was comfortable when they went into the Gates Mansion, so why wouldn't it be now? Wednesday also pulled out a pair of fuzzy trousers and a hoodie, quickly changed into it, and wrapped the snood around her neck.

She looked into the mirror that stood beside her closet and saw her own reflection. She never had the proper style or was into fashion at all, but this outfit was really comfortable, maybe even cute.

So she did something; she pulled out the phone from her bag, opened a camera app, and took a picture of her reflection. Wednesday opened the gallery and looked closely at the picture. It really looked great.

Wednesday locked the phone, put it into her pocket, and walked out of the room, heading downstairs to the kitchen to not starve to death. The smell of the food her mother was cooking before still circulated throughout the house.

She sat down at the table, alone as always, and began eating the delicious dish, which was spicy like devil's breath. But for some reason, it felt strange eating the food...alone.

It just didn't feel the same as it did in Nevermore. There, dinner was always eaten in groups, and she specifically have always eaten with Enid, or sometimes others would join them. But it was always at least two of them...now she was eating alone, because her family already finished before her even coming down.

But thinking about the dinners in Nevermore made her think...

...the night she ordered Thing to bring a piece of paper to Tyler, there was a phone number...

...and the phone number belonged to Enid...

...and Thing has a brilliant mind sometimes, despite being a hand...

She grabbed the plate and went quickly upstairs into her room, locking the door behind her.

"Thing!" Wednesday ordered as the hand crawled from under the bed for some reason.

"That night you brought Tyler the paper to call me, do you remember the number?" She asked as he took a while to move, but then he started signing.

'Yes, I do. It's 413-555-1938 I think.' Thing signed, making Wednesday surprisingly quickly have the phone in her hand, and typing it into the device.

"I might give it a try, even though I think you are messing with me." She said, looking at the hand in the corner of her eye.

Wednesday
Hello, Enid.

"Now we just wait," Wednesday said, placing the phone on the table, as she sat down, and began eating again. Thing walked onto her table, and began signing again.

'But that was Enid's number, not yours.' Thing said.

"I know." Wednesday simply replied and continued eating.

Even after finishing the food, she found herself occasionally checking the phone if a reply came through or not. The girl also found out while looking through the phone an app with many images called Instagram, so she signed up for it and posted the picture she took earlier of herself.

But then, after sitting at the table for an hour, and already having read half of a book, a notification came on her phone.

413-555-1938
who dis?