seventeen

A/N: dont forget to leave a comment and vote for the chapter!

*

They walked in complete silence for a while. Naruko caught Sasuke glancing her way at least three times. She'd smile at the boy, who'd turn red and snap his attention elsewhere. "Cute" she thinks.

Sakura would occasionally open her mouth, as if to say something, before snapping it shut. Probably because she knows Sasuke would just ignore her, and she didn't want to talk to the blonde.

But soon after another hour of walking in complete silence, Sakura couldn't stand it anymore, and her voice started up again. "Excuse me, Tazuna-san? You said you came from the Land of Waves?"

"That is correct, what of it?" Replied the old man, who's been quiet the entire time. He too didn't like the uncomfortable icy silence anymore and was secretly grateful for the ice breaker

"Well, doesn't the Land of Waves have its own ninja village? Why do they need us?" The pinkette asked.

"Actually, Sakura, the Land of Waves is a small island" Kakashi explained, removing his attention from his book at last

"Ninjas are military strength, and with the natural protection of the ocean, they generally have no need for them. When they and other small countries like them need ninjas, they usually hire from the nearest Great Shinobi Nation" he explained.

"And Konoha is one of those" Naruko added.

Sakura frowned at her. She was about to snap that she wasn't talking to her, but caught Sasuke's warning glare.

"Correct" Kakashi said agreeably. "Konoha, is of the Land of Fire, Suna, of the Land of Wind, Kumo, of the Land of Lightning, Kiri, of the Land of Water; and Iwa, of the Land of Earth, are the Five Great Shinobi Nations" their silver haired sensei explained

"There are other Hidden Villages as well, but those are the five best known" Naruko added again

"What are some of the others?" Sakura continued to pursue the subject, ignoring Naruko.

"There's Kusa, to the north west of us, And Taki, straight north, there's Bird Country to the west, although I don't know if their village is still in action or not. Ame is to the west as well, but not as far as Bird, and there's supposed to be a Yukigakure in the far, far north in the Land of Snow, but my map might be out of date--that place has kind of been in a civil war for the last few years. Don't know what's happening there"

Naruko suddenly paused when she passed a nondescript, medium sized puddle of water. The puddle was radiating chakra.

Sasuke looked at her and raised an eyebrow. "What's wrong?" He wondered.

Naruko gasped and turned back, springing up.

A razor sharp claw attached to a chain slithered out of the water, Naruko was ready. She watched and made no attempt to aid as the claw cut up 'Kakashi' to pieces, waiting instead for the opportune moment.

There was a sharp, high pitched scream from Sakura, who stood paralyzed in shock and fear

"What are you doing idiot?! Move!" Naruko shouted, snapping Sakura out of her trance. The pinkette leaped out of the way, but forgot about Tazuna, the man they were supposed to be protecting

Both Demon Brothers appeared, racing towards Tazuna. Naruko glanced over at Sasuke and said. "Watch me! then you'll be assured that I'm worthy of being your trainer" she winked at him

Sasuke's eyes widened "What will you-"

The pigtailed blonde ducked under the first brother's swing and gave the man a swift, harsh uppercut to the chin. The shinobi grunted and flew back several meters, landing hard on the forest floor, unmoving. "See that?!" She turned to the stunned raven haired boy, eyes shining. "I told you to watch me, were you watching?"

"I-- yes" was all Sasuke managed out.

Meizu watched his brother fly and snarled. He swung his claw up in a deadly arc, intending to cleave the Konoha-nin girl into two very bloody pieces.

Naruko saw the claw, dodged it, and then caught the chain right under the appendage, she slammed her kunai through the links and into the ground, pinning the weapon down and rendering it unusable.

Meizu tugged futilely at the claw for a second, then dropped his armband and started the signs for a water cannonball.

Sasuke this time intercepted him before he could finish it, he went down onto his hands, and powered his right foot into Meizu's abdomen, knocking the air out of the man's lungs and slamming him into a tree.

He slid down and did not move again.

"Way to go Sasuke!" Naruko cheered, even clapping for him, which Sasuke secretly reveled in.

The entire battle had taken less than three minutes.

The silence in the clearing was absolute until Kakashi stepped out of the foliage and back onto the main road. Naruko, Sasuke, and Sakura were relieved to see him alright. "Kakashi-sensei!" The blonde rushed forward, arms spread, and jumped on him

Kakashi managed to catch the girl and steady himself so they wouldn't fall on the ground from Naruko's 'tackle'

"I'm so glad you're ok sensei! Though to be completely honest, I knew you'd be fine" Naruko revealed, her face still pressed against his stomach.

Kakashi chuckled, awkwardly patting her back. "Hey, Naruko, you might want to let the man breathe" Said Sasuke, his voice a bit hard.

"Hmm?" Naruko pulled her face back, expression innocent and confused. "Oh, sorry sensei" she reluctantly pried herself off the man. "It's fine Naruko" Kakashi replied honestly.

"Hey!" Called Tazuna. "How come you ran away and left your super young ninjas to fend for themselves?!" He yelled angrily, pointing an accusing finger at Kakashi.

"They managed didn't they?" Kakashi answered, looking at the beaten up forms of the enemies.

"Not this one though" Tazuna said, pointing at Sakura. "How could you leave a little girl to fight tough enemies?"

"She's a ninja" Sasuke said, throwing the quiet pinkette a glance "She should have reacted faster"

"Take it easy on her" Naruko said, throwing Sasuke a disapproving look.

"This is her first real mission and her first real fight, don't be so harsh on her" she placed a comforting hand on Sakura's shoulder, but the pink haired girl slapped it away. "Hey!" Sasuke hissed.

Even Kakashi made a sound of disapproval. "Ne, Tazuna-san, how much further until we reach your home?" Sakura asked. Tazuna clears his throat "not much further, we just gotta cross a river and the we'll be in my village" he said

Kakashi nodded. "We should get going then" He fixed Tazuna with a hard stare. "And while we're at it, you can explain to us why you seem to have assassins trying to kill you"