thirty eight

"You little punk! Watch where you're going!"

Konohamaru was grabbed by his scarf and lifted off his feet. Naruko frowned. "Hey you" she said to the ninja wearing face paint. "What's your name?". The ninja eyed her up and down before smirking and dropping Konohamaru to the ground. "Kankuro, and yours pretty lady?" He said with a flirty smile

"I'm Naruko, and I'm sorry if we bumped into you, we were just playing a game" Naruko said smiling slightly but still keeping her guard up. Her eyes shifted to the trees looking for a certain someone. She then returned her attention to the nervous boy on the floor "Konohamaru, are you ok?" She asked worriedly. 

"Y-yes" Konohamaru stuttered, rubbing his butt, he stood up and hid behind Naruko along with his friends.

"Hey little brat, come out here! Don't hide behind others and apologize to me" Kankuro growled at Konohamaru but his attention was on Naruko. The blonde frowned "I already did"

"Not you, HIM" he pointed at the boy hiding behind the blonde. "He was the one who crashed into me"

"Are you so petty as to pick fights with children?" Naruko lifted a blonde brow. Kankuro blushed but scowled. "Just leave already creep"

"Creep?" Kankuro repeated glaring at her. "Let's go" Naruko turned around and was about to lead Konohamaru, Moegi and Udon away, or she was about to, but she suddenly found herself unable to move. "I knew this would happen" she thought, annoyed. "I tried to settle things peacefully with him but he just wouldn't let it go"

"Naruko-nee!" The kids cried out in shock. Kankuro chuckled before glaring at Konohamaru who was clutching Naruko's hand. "You, come over here"

"No!" Konohamaru tried to glare at Kankuro but couldn't hide his nervousness. Naruko remained calm, she knew she had nothing to worry about anyway. Sasuke would help her, and Gaara was just around the corner.

"Three..two..-" suddenly there was a yelp that came from Kankuro. "Right on time Sas" Naruko smirked. Naruko slumped over, she could move again. She stood up and turned around to see Kankuro holding his head where a rock hit him. She looked up to see Sasuke sitting on a branch glaring down at them, a rock in hand. "Thanks Sas" she said with a smirk.

Sasuke shrugged and nodded at her. He returned his attention to the foreign ninjas causing trouble. "What do you think you're doing in someone else's village?" He crushed the rock in his hand reducing it to dust. Naruko rolled his eyes when Moegi and Udon gushed over how cool he was. "Show off" she said, amused.

Kankuro scowled and straightened himself up "Great, another punk that pissed me off!" He glared at Sasuke who glared back, animosity was clear between the two. "Hey bastard, get down here! You're the kind of guy I hate the most, all attitude and nothing to-"

"Kankuro" came a new voice that Naruko recognized instantly. "Shut up"

Sasuke dropped from the tree and landed beside Naruko. A red haired boy with a giant tank on his back leaped from a branch and landed in between Kankuro and the older blonde. He gave Kankuro a dark look, causing him to sweat. Sasuke could sense that the red head was dangerous. He had deep dark circles under his green eyes, almost like he never sleeps, and the kanji for love on his forehead.

Naruko placed a hand on his shoulder and pulled him back. Sasuke gave her a confused look.

"Hi" she greeted. The red head ignored her and instead focused on the ninjas with him. "Picking fights with children? You're an embarrassment" he tsked. "Gaara" Kankuro looked nervous

"I'm sorry" Naruko continued. "N-no uhh I'm the one who should be sorry" Kankuro stammered, throwing a wary glance at the red head. "I should have just let it go, so"

Naruko turned her attention to the red head, Gaara. The boy was looking at her with genuine interest. She locked eyes with him, his pale green eyes widened just the slightest bit. The two did nothing but stare at each other for a while, silence hung between the group of young ninjas.

"I'm Naruko" she introduced, still keeping her gaze locked with Gaara. She remembered the Gaara from her past life, her close friend, she couldn't help but smile unknowingly charming Kankuro, Gaara and the older blonde.

She didn't expect Gaara to nodd at her, "Gaara" he says, surprising Kankuro and the other blonde.

"Judging from your hitai ate you're ninjas from Sunagakure correct?"

"That's right" Gaara answered.

"What are you three doing in our village?" She asked. "Could it be...you're here for the Chunin exams?"

"Naruko" Sasuke went over to her, the three kids right behind him. "What do you mean by Chunin exams? How do you know about it?"

"I kind of overheard the Sandaime talking about it in the office" she lied. "Nii-san you can advance into a Chunin if you take and pass the exam" Konohamaru explained to Sasuke. Sasuke's eyes widened hearing that.

"We should take it too" Sasuke said to Naruko. "You've been clueless lately" Naruko giggled teasingly. "Shut up" Sasuke frowned.

Gaara's eyes widened once more at the sound of her laughter, it was so....soothing, and calming.

"So you're here for the Chunin exams then?" Sasuke asked the red head. "Correct" Gaara replied boredly, his attention still fixated on Naruko, it was like he was memorizing her face.

"We should probably go now" the other blonde who's been quiet the entire time finally spoke. "Yeah Temari's right" Kankuro added. Gaara didn't speak, he just looked at Naruko's face, said girl was staring at him as well, but with a pleasant smile. "I'll see you around then" she said beaming.

Gaara nodded, feeling something undecipherable. "I suppose". And with that, the three foreign ninjas walked off

"That guy was scary" Konohamaru said, tugging at Naruko's hand. "Who?" Naruko asked. "Kankuro?"

"No that guy just made me nervous. But the red haired one, Gaara? I can tell he's really dangerous, he makes me feel..." Konohamaru shivered. "Scared for my life"

"I don't think he's a bad person" Naruko defended, patting Konohamaru's head. "He seemed pleasant enough. And he DID stop Kankuro from hurting us"

"Actually, I did that" Sasuke corrected with a frown. "Yeah sure you did something" Naruko teased. "You threw a rock and distracted him"

"Hey! Maybe I shouldn't have gotten involved after all" Sasuke grumbled. Naruko chuckled and nudged his arm