twenty one

Tazuna's house was at the edge of the of the village. It wasn't much to look at really, but it had a certain homely aura to it that more than made up for it.

"Here is my home, let me tell my daughter we are here" He said as they come to the front door and knocked. The door opened a crack and they heard a woman's voice gasp. She opened it and a long haired woman appeared, she hugged him tightly, with tears going down her face.

"Tsunami" Naruko recognized

"Otousan, I was so scared! I thought you were dead" She said as she hugged him and he stroked her hair.

"It's alright now Tsunami," He said as he comforted her.

"Come inside, you must be tired" She said and team7 entered the room.

Tazuna turned to Kakashi. "The two bedrooms on the east side over there," he said pointing, "are for you and your team. Feel free to make yourself at home" He then disappeared into his own room.

Kakashi nodded. "Get settled guys. Naruko, when you're done, please step outside, and Sakura, help Tsunami with the dinner"

Sasuke seemed to glare at the jounin but didn't speak otherwise.

Three 'okay's sounded from inside the room and, ten minutes later when all was done, Kakashi started walking, with Naruko following.

*

"..So" Kakashi started when they were a good distance away from the house "I'll give it to you straight, where did you learn your Rasengan?"

Suppressing a wince Naruko fumbled her fingers over her golden bangs. But then she quickly settled herself down and made an oh so innoccent look on her face. "Is it bad sensei?"

Kakashi rubbed a hand over his face. Naruko blinked.

"Ahem, of course not, but you know--" Slurring the end of his sentence Kakashi hesitated for a moment before continuing. "..You have to give me something to work on, you suddenly turned into a girl-well it's not your fault though- and suddenly befriended Sasuke, and you're using jutsus which you couldn't have learned yet! First tell me who'd taught you the jutsu"

Sighing inwardly Naruko looked away. Crossing her arms she dropped her head as she muttered. "My companion"

The jounin raised his silver eyebrow. "Companion? What do you mean? You live alone, Naruko"

"Oh? Oh really?" Suddenly looking up the blonde asked, sarcasm obviously in her voice.

Kakashi's eyes widened dramatically.

A minute of silence passed, then Kakashi finally managed to speak again. "How..."

Naruko giggled. "The kyuubi no blah blah, I managed to talk with him when I was six. Then he'd been teaching me jutsus including....my father's"

The jounin felt like someone was suffocating him. So it would seem that the fox told Naruko about her real father.

Silence again.

Kakashi sucked in a sharp breath. "Does your tenant have any relation with your gender-change?"

Suppressing an urge to chuckle Naruko shook her head vividly. "No way! And he's good as my tenant. He doesn't try to possess me or something, though sometimes he tries to irritate me..well as for things about Sasuke, I'm currently helping him with training"

"You're being unfair! When have I ever..." The demon fox began to growl, but Naruko quickly blocked him off ignoring his complains.

Kakashi massaged his temples as he contemplated the blonde. Naruko's blue eye were full of..

Hidden wounds.

"Naruko"

"Hm?"

"Are you ok?" The question contained. hundreds of inquiration.

"I'm half and half" she admitted.

Feeling more and more hard to keep on lying Naruko took a deep breath. "It's good that I knew it earlier, the reasons of village's actions" Then she became silent with her head dropped down. "The way they looked at me, the way they treated me"

Watching the girl's slender shoulders vibrating Kakashi gulped. Slowly and almost nervously, he lifted his gloved hand up and brought it onto the girl's head...

Before his fingers touched the golden strands, Naruko abruptly looked up again with a grinning face. "So! You're not worried anymore?"

Kakashi quickly withdrew his hand. He knew that smile was just a front. And behind that happy mask was one of a hurt, bitter girl. "As long as you're ok" he said.

Come on," He turned. "Dinner is waiting and if we take any longer Sasuke will think I've ran away kidnapping you."

Chuckling Naruko headed back to the house with her teacher.