forty seven

When Naruko got back to the others, it had already gotten dark, and there was a bonfire prepared to warm them up for the night. "Where were you?" Sasuke asked. "Had to take care of something" Naruko excused. She laid out some berries she picked off on the ground and they started eating.

Sakura watched Naruko carefully. Her hands inside her pocket, feeling the poisoned mushrooms. She was carefully planning out how she's going to trick the bitch into eating them. Obviously she'll have to get Naruko alone, so there would be no one to stop her.

Naruko, feeling an intense gaze on her, looked up and saw Sakura staring heatedly at her. When her blue eyes met her green ones, the pinkette looked down and started eating the berries.

"We should take turns keeping watch. I'll take the first shift" Sasuke said. "We'll wake each other up every three hours"

"I think there should be two persons keeping watch" Sakura suggested. "I think it should be me and Naruko"

Naruko felt suspicious. "What's she up to?"

"Okay" The pigtailed blonde agreed. An hour later, Ino, Sasuke, Shikamaru and Choji were lying on the floor fast asleep. Naruko was on a branch keeping watch while Sakura was on the ground.

Sakura looked at Naruko warily. She should find a way to cook the mushrooms. Maybe she can turn it into soup and have Naruko eat it. Or maybe she can mix the mushrooms in Naruko's ramen.

A sinister smile came upon Sakura's lips. She felt a dark excitement come over her. She knew she just had to be patient. Soon the demon bitch will be out of their, HER, life, and no one will even know the reason for her death.

Sakura is a good girl in the eyes of many, no on will suspect her. Least of all a 12 year old genin.

"If I'm poisoning the bitch's food then that means I'll have to wait until after the Chunin exams. As much as I want to kill the whore now I'll have to be patient" Sakura thinks to herself.

"But I want her gone NOW NOW NOW!!!"

The pink haired girl growled as she glared up at Naruko. Her jealousy and envy burning hot, she really didn't understand why the village loved Naruko, why HER Sasuke-kun sticks to her like glue. Following her like a loyal dog

"Sasuke-kun is not at fault! He doesn't know what she's truly like! This two-faced snake is cunning and manipulative, just she wait, I'll get rid of her, and once she's gone" dark images consumed Sakura's mind. "Everything will makes sense again"

Sakura isn't the villain here. Naruko is. Naruko is the monster. Naruko is the loser, Naruko is the freak. Everyone will thank Sakura for getting rid of her.

*

"Sasuke, wake up" Naruko gently nudged Sasuke's shoulder. "Sasuke"

Sasuke's black eyes open and meets Naruko's blue ones. "Is it my turn already?"

"It's yours and Shikamaru's turn now" Naruko said. Sasuke nodded, but then noticed Naruko's tired eyes. "Did you let us sleep longer than what we agreed on?" Sasuke asked frowning. Naruko smiled. "You guys just looked so peaceful, and it's not like I couldn't handle another hour"

"You should have woken us up after three hours" Sasuke argued. He placed a hand on top Naruko's head and gently ruffled her hair. Naruko smiled and leaned into his touch. "I wanted you to get enough rest" she said softly.

Sasuke sighed. "Then you'll be getting four hours of sleep instead of three. It's only fair" he said.

"You're so soft on me Sasuke" Naruko teased.

"Whatever, just go to sleep Naruko"

The blonde laid down on the floor beside Ino and closed her eyes. Sasuke gazed at Naruko for a few moments, tracing her figure before landing on her face.

He wanted to lay down beside her and hold her in his arms. "What the hell am I thinking?! Snap out of it!" Sasuke thought, shaking his head and going to wake Shikamaru up.

These feelings he had for Naruko were confusing, but they were pleasant. She makes him feel secured, she praises him and teases him. He enjoys their banter and bickering, he can barely even remember that just a few months ago he hated her and thought of her as a loser who won't get anywhere in life.

But that loser was a different person. Naruto and Naruko are two different people. Naruko isn't Naruto, not anymore.

This girl is amazing, and admirable. She's a remarkable ninja and there is no one who can hold a candle against her.

"Shikamaru, wake up" he kicked Shikamaru's arm startling him awake.

"Is it our shift now?" The spiky black haired boy stood up and went to sit on a log.

For a while they were quiet, neither exchanging glances nor words. Until it was broken by Shikamaru. "She's changed so much hasn't she? She's not the unpredictable knucklehead ninja we thought we knew"

"I think that ninja was never the real her. If was just a front she put up to hide her true self until she can reveal who she really is to us" Sasuke said.

"Hm. She's impressive"

Sasuke stared at Shikamaru with a frown. "Yeah she is"

"And admirable" Shikamaru turned to look over at the sleeping Naruko. "Sasuke, you and her have been inseparable these past few days. You're always training or eating together"

"I suppose so"

"Sasuke, do you like her?"

The Uchiha looked at Shikamaru with surprised eyes. He didn't expect the Nara to ask him that. Was he that obvious? Well it's no surprise the Nara has noticed, the boy was a genius, and very observant.

"I'll take that as a yes" Shikamaru scoffed.

"So what if I do?" Sasuke challenged.

Shikamaru sighed. "Nothing" he said. He wasn't going to tell Sasuke that he liked her too and that he was jealous of what Sasuke and Naruko had. That he missed talking and cloud watching with Naruko. These days, Naruko barely sees him anymore. She was always with the Uchiha and he was jealous of that.

He knew he felt something for her the minute she walked into the classroom as a girl and introduced her true self to them.

Besides, now is not the time to focus on romantic feelings. They needed to stay alert and focus on surviving the forest of death.

Maybe after this, he can try to get closer to Naruko again.

A/n: okay after this I'm gonna make a time skip and skip the rest of the Chunin exams. Sorry for those who were expecting to read about the fights.