forty one

Everything happened almost exactly as she remembered in her past life. With the only exception being Kabuto didn't interact with them at all, he just stood a few meters away from them, staring at her every so often. She was beginning to get used to this by now so she just let it be.

It was Sasuke who said he wouldn't run away, that taking risks is part of being a Shinobi and that whatever would be thrown at them they could handle it. He said this while glancing at Naruko's direction to which she gave him an encouraging nod.

Ibiki passed everyone, surprise surprise

They were allowed to go home and prepare for the next exam the following day

Naruko bade Sasuke goodbye telling him she would be taking a walk to clear her mind. Sasuke offered to join her but she insisted she wanted to be alone. Once Sasuke was finally out of sight did she acknowledged the crow sitting on the branch nearby

She smirked at it before ducking behind a dark alleyway and running to her apartment

Once there she locked the door and turned on the lights, sensing the intruder in the kitchen.

She saw him standing by the table, drumming his finger on the table. She gave him a nod before she started filling the teapot with water. He just stood there uncertainly, until she gave him a raised brow look "Well sit down" she said

He obeyed and sat down, the two fell in surprising comfortable silence, until the sound of the teapot shrieking signaling the boiling water broke the silence

Lifting the pot from the stove she poured two cups of tea. Picking both up, she strode over to the table and handed one to him. The two sipped their tea in silence

"So...I'm assuming my message got through to you and I wasn't just talking to normal birds at the time?" She brought up

He just hummed in response

"I have plans" she revealed. "I have big plans Itachi, but sad to say my plans might ruin yours"

"Really?" He raised a brow

"But to be fair, your plans are foolish and would achieve nothing, whereas mine would achieve great things" She said placing her cup down. "How would you even know?" Itachi demanded, his voice challenging.

"I just do" she said mysteriously. "Just call it woman's intuition" she giggled. Itachi appeared unamused. She dropped her smirk and put on a cold, serious expression. "You're a stupid bastard who screwed over Sasuke, you think you should shoulder everything, you think you can fix everything yourself but you're wrong. You're stupid to think that traumatizing a kid was for his own good"

"I did what I had to do" Itachi said, his expression blank

"What you HAD to do?" Naruko hissed. "There were so many things you could have done differently, but you were only one to follow orders rather than think for yourself"

Coal black eyes met sky blue ones, the coal black ones swirling into fiery red orbs that were hypnotic to gaze at

"Itachi Uchiha, we're in for a long discussion"

*

Sasuke stared at his mirror and touched the bite mark Naruko gave him a few days ago. It was still there, visible, and seemed to be transforming into a tattoo. He traced the space between his neck and shoulder, tracing the visible lines of the bite Naruko left on him. Should he talk to her about it tomorrow? Why did she even bite him in the first place?

*

"I want you to completely annihilate Akatsuki to the ground and come back to Konoha. Sasuke will be unhappy to see you again but don't worry I've gotten ridden of most of his hatred for you so what he'll feel for you will probably just be confusion and misplaced anger" Naruko said. "But don't be surprised if he aims a punch to your gut, you did screw him over afterall"

"I'd tell him I deserve it" Itachi said, amusement in his eyes.

Naruko smiled and stood up, walking around the table, she surprised Itachi with a hug. "You've been through a lot, you've suffered, and I can't tell how many nights you endure nightmares about that terrible night of the massacre. I can't take all the pain away but I can try to bring you light"

Itachi felt himself relaxing against Naruko's hug, he lifted his arms and wrapped them around Naruko's as well. "You're....an odd one, Naruko Uzumaki" Itachi said

He stayed for dinner, but after that he put on his Akatsuki robe and disappeared into the night

Naruko looked out the window, lost in thought. Can she really bring the Uchiha brothers back together again? The new future she envisions for herself involves her living a happy life, with her enemies destroyed and the villagers who once scorned her worshipping her feet. That's not TOO much to ask is it?