twenty three

Sasuke was tapping the table with his finger, and impatiently chewing his lip. When he heard the door open he perked up and went to see the person entering, only to feel disappointed that it was just Kakashi.

Kakashi without Naruko. "Where's the dobe?" He asked.

"Ehh, said she needed to take care of something" Kakashi excused.

The man sat down and rested his head in his hands, his head still hurt but not by much. "Sensei, how do you feel?" Sasuke decided to ask instead of out right demanding how he has a Sharingan.

"I'm fine, the Sharingan just put a lot of strain to my body" he explained.

Sasuke opened his mouth again, only to clamp it shut. He seemed to be contemplating what he should demand from his sensei, or if he even wants the answers to his questions. Kakashi could tell, the boy wanted answers.

The Sasuke from a few weeks ago would have had a different reaction. Probably demanding he tell him how he got the sharingan. But instead he asked Kakashi how he was

Most likely, all thanks to Naruko. The girl sure did a number on him.

Suddenly Tazuna and his daughter Tsunami, followed by Sakura, entered the kitchen. "Sensei you looked troubled" Sakura pointed out. "I'm fine Sakura thanks for the concern, I was just thinking about the nins we fought" was Kakashi's reply

"But you beat them right? so they wouldn't be bothering us for a while" Tazuna said, sounding relieved. But Kakashi shook his head. "I didn't 'beat' Zabuza, he left but he promised he'll come back to finish his job, and since his partner almost got killed by one of us"

"Naruko" Sasuke said.

Sakura scowled momentarily.

Kakashi just nodded "I imagine he'll be coming back with a vengeance". The silence that hung in the room was so chilling that Sakura visibly shuddered.

"Well that's comforting" Tazuna remarked sarcastically.

"You're all going to die" came a new voice.

Everyone turned their attention to the door and there stood Naruko with a little boy wearing a white cap. She gave them all an apologetic look. "Sorry I took so long, I met..Inari" she said, patting Inari's head.

"What did you just say kid?" Sasuke asked, eyes flaring.

"Inari! Where have you been?" Tazuna greeted the boy warmly. Inari stood still, looked at Naruko, before walking to hug his grandfather. "I'm home grandpa" he said.

"Inari it wasn't right for you to just straight up say we're going to die" Naruko lightly scolded

"Exactly!" Tsunami added. "Inari these are the ninjas who escorted your grandfather"

Inari looked at the ninjas his mother was gesturing at in the kitchen one by one. From Sakura, to Sasuke, and Kakashi. "Mom they're going to die, there's no way they can win against Gato" he looked emotionless when he said that. Naruko looked sad "You don't think I can beat him?"

"I don't think you can't..I know you won't be able to Naruko-neechan" Inari said, looking a bit guilty for even telling her that he didn't believe in her. "I'm sorry"

"Listen, we can do it, we're heroes who'll beat this Gato bastard! You can count on us, believe it" Naruko promised before eyeing Sasuke and smiling. "Isn't that right Sasuke?"

The boy sighed. "Yes, we are" he agreed. "In fact, Naruko is a great ninja who I know will one day become Hokage" his words surprised Naruko, even Kakashi, and outraged Sakura. "He..he thinks she'll become Hokage?!" She screeched in her head.

"I- did he really just say that?" Naruko thought shocked. "He thinks I'll become Hokage?"

"You're stupid for thinking that!" Inari yelled. "Are you calling Naruko's dream of becoming Hokage stupid?" Sasuke scowled.

"Awwe look at him being a knight in shining armor, it's sickening" Kurama mocked.

"There's no such thing as heroes!"

Kakashi looked between Inari and Sasuke. "Whoa, he looks really pissed off" Kakashi thinks. Sasuke looked like he wanted to throttle the kid but Sakura hugged his arm and held him back "Calm down!" She shouted in a panic. She's never seen him act this way before! Let alone to a child. She glared at Naruko who stood behind Inari. "This is all because of her!"

"If you don't want to die then go home" Inari left the room. Naruko looked worriedly at the spot Inari was at just seconds ago. Then she gave Sasuke a disapproving look "Sasuke!" She began

"What? What did I do wrong?" Sasuke asked, offended that she was angry at him instead of the brat.

"Arguing with a child? seriously?" She huffed, crossing her arms. Then looked over at Tazuna and Tsunami, who were bowing their heads apologetically. "I'm sorry" Tazuna said

Naruko shook her head. "No, we're the ones sorry" She gave Sasuke a stern look. When he didn't respond, she poked his side. "Right, Sasuke?" She said strongly.

"Right" he grumbled. "Sorry"

"But we'll still talk to him" Tazuna promised. "They should, he needs to learn a thing or two" Sasuke thought.