Nineteen

It has been a while later, when it finally happened. What she's been anticipating for.

An enormous spinning shape came flashing over their heads, whistling as it cut through the air. In an instant it had flown past them and smashed into the ground throwing up a spray of sand.

It revealed itself as a giant gunmetal gray cleaver with a long handle wrapped in white cloth. Hanging from the pommel on a twisted piece of cord was a single red pearl.

Its glossy surface crawled with black designs that writhed and twisted with a life of their own.

The air around them suddenly shifted and Sauske's eyes widened, instinctively tackling Naruko to the ground and covering both their heads. He didn't even bother trying to get to Tazuna or Sakura, letting Kakashi to take care of the two.

A giant zanbatou cut the air directly above them and then embedded itself into a tree, handle sticking out so that the man who'd just landed atop it could stand without fear of falling.

"Naruko, you alright?" Sasuke whispered to her ear. The girl forced down the blush or the shiver threatening to escape her from Sasuke's warm breath tickling her skin. Now wasn't the time for that. She has to be focused because of Zabuza

"Yeah, thanks" she said, allowing a smile to form on her face, before she turned to glare at the man. "Long time no see" she thought.

"Zabuza no Momochi the Demon hidden in the Mist." Kakashi stated, utterly serious for once, as he got up from his crouched position. Reaching up he took hold his forehead protector that was usually covering his eye, and pushed it up, revealing a red iris and three tomoe's, the legendary dojutsu, the Sharingan.

"How? How does he have the Sharingan?" Sasuke stared in shock. Naruko, sensing Sasuke's distress and confusion, reached for his clenched knuckle and covered it with her hand, still keeping her eyes on Zabuza. "Interrogate him later, right now we gotta focus" she whispered to him.

"Sensei?" Sakura asked nervously

"Naru, Sasuke, Sakura, stay here and protect Tazuna, It's your mission now." Kakashi commanded seriously.

"Sensei!" Naruko called running up to him.

Kakashi turned his body a little in the blonde's direction to indicate that he was listening but kept his eyes on his opponent. "Yes, Naruko?"

"I-" the blonde kunoichi began. "I believe you can handle him and that I don't have much to be worried about, but I still will be" she admitted. "Be careful Kakashi-sensei, don't let your guard down even for one moment" she said seriously.

Kakashi blinked, but nodded, appreciating her concern for his well being. "Yes, Naruko, and you as well"

Naruko nodded before returning to Sasuke and Sakura, who had been watching their exchange. Then, a thick mist blanketed the clearing. And Kakashi charged.

"He'll be fine" Sasuke reassured the blonde, noticing her furrowed brows and stiff posture. "But like you said to me before, we gotta focus"

"Yeah" she agrees.

*

Sakura watched from her guard position as her teacher and Zabuza fought. When the first mizu-bunshin blew up and Zabuza held Kakashi at knife point, she tensed.

Naruko caught her eye and shook her head. "No, wait. There's another ninja."

"Another nin..?" Sasuke whispered back, frowming

"Just wait, and trust me"

Naruko started gathering chakra, bidding her time, all senses on high alert, for a certain someone to let down the genjutsu covering her so that she could get a concrete lock on her position. It would only be for a split second so her probe would have to be quick. Very quick.

Naruko tensed.

Kakashi got stabbed.

Sakura let out shrill cry

The veil shimmered for half an instant as Haku moved from one branch to another.

The blonde hissed, eyes alight, and foxy grin stretching her lips wide.

"Sasuke" She whispered. And then she leaped, creating a kage bunshin to take her place and completely masking her chakra in the same split second. Sasuke followed her at a slower, jerkier pace.

Kakashi settled a couple meters away from his students and risked a backwards glance to reassure himself that they were all okay. Sakura looked terrified but unharmed, with her was Tazuna, Sasuke was gone, and Naruko--

The Jounin narrowed his eyes but didn't have much time to dwell on the matter as a horde of needles made of ice came raining down upon him. "Don't let your guard down even for one moment" Naruko's warning rang in his ears

Right. He needs to stay on high alert. Finish off this bastard and then get back to his students.

"Give it up Kakashi and I might make your death and the deaths of your students quick and painless" Zabuza said, his voice echoing across the clearing.

Kakashi shook his head. "Never"

Zabuza appeared in front of him and slashed him across the belly. Kakashi dissolved into a gallon of water and reappeared behind the mist-nin.

As for Haku, his eyes narrowed and he moved to a different branch for a closer look. When had Kakashi copied the bunshin jutsu?

Zabuza chuckled all-knowingly and rolled his eyes to look at the man behind him.

Haku leaned over, completely intent on the fight unfolding in front of him-which was why he was caught entirely by surprise at the roundhouse kick that came flying from out of nowhere and powered straight into his face.

The ex mist-nin let out a soft cry and fell backwards, out of the tree and onto the grassy ground below where he was immediately met by two pin wheeling sharingan eyes and a ball of fire. Haku's eyes widened and he threw himself backwards, away from the jutsu.

He wasn't fast enough.

Haku narrowed his eyes as he blocked yet another front snap kick only to be suckered by the reverse twist punch thrown a millisecond after.

He back-flipped several meters away, waited until the raven haired boy started to charge, and then called upon his bloodline to freeze the all the water on the ground all at once.

Sasuke's eyes widened as he slid for a couple of seconds, before falling heavily onto his left side, he heard the audible snapping of a bone and bit his tongue hard to prevent himself from screaming.

Naruko hissed as she watched Sasuke fall, face going white with pain as his leg cracked underneath him, bone protruding from the wound.

"SASUKE!" she screame, running towards her friend, her hands already glowing the steady light green to indicate a medic-jutsu, when she caught the metallic glare of Haku's katana slicing towards her friend. Naruko growled and her eyes flashed "RASENGAN!"