Chapter 15

Author's note: picture of Abigail Johnson.

Dinner at the Johnsons was interesting. Mei Johnson was a Japanese woman while Raymond Johnson was an African American man. Their daughter, Abby, was a perfect mix of them. They have been with Nick since the beginning. They knew everything and everyone in the pack. The conversation was informative. I learned all about the pack history, but not why Nick was and wasn't the Alpha. 

After dinner, the parents chatted with Nick while I did Abby. She was a painter but worked at the local bookstore. 

"Do you like to read?" She asked.

"I love to read," I said. "I'll have to come see you at the bookstore."

"It's a bit out of the way so you'll be needing a car," she said.

"I just got my license a month ago but my car is still in Washington. I guess I will have to wait for Nick's car to be delivered," I said.

Ja- l mean Nick can get you a new car. You just have to go to the dealership and they'll hook you up," she said. "Trust me, Nick can afford it."

"What can I afford?" Nick said, coming into the kitchen.

"A new car for Addy," she said. "She needs one to get around."

"That's a great idea. We'll get you one tomorrow," he said.

"You don't have to. I can just use yours," I said.

"I need my car, sugar. It's not a problem getting you your own. You can use it to visit Shadow Moon whenever you want," he said.

"I hadn't even thought about that. I'm still trying to get accustomed to your pack," I said.

"You'll get there. We have time. The only thing is you can't have people from Shadow Moon or Blue Moon coming here. We don't allow outsiders. That's why it's important that you meet with the pack members," he said.

"If you haven't noticed, we're pretty well hidden," Abby said. "People don't come this way anymore."

"That took a lot of work. No one may enter unless they are invited by a pack member," Nick said. "But we don't want that unless they wish to join."

"Okay. I understand," I said.

"After you get your car, you can visit me at the bookstore. I do work tomorrow morning," she said.

"We better get going," Nick said.

Abigail and I exchanged numbers before I left. 

"Thank you for the lovely dinner," I said.

"Don't be strangers," Mei Johnson said.

"Goodnight," I called.

We made our way back home hand in hand. It was a beautiful night so we took our time. I was seeing Nick in a whole new light. The way his pack members looked up to him was surprising. It shouldn't be since he is their leader. I was just used to him being my waiter.

Aiden was sitting on his front porch. We waved at him. He was sitting in a porch swing that looked fun to sit in.

"Can we go over there," I asked. "I want to check out that porch swing."

"If you want a porch swing, I will get you one. We can build a gazebo or something," he said.

"I just want to check it out," I said.

He reluctantly steered us over to Aiden's house. He was gently swinging.

"May I join you," I asked.

"Have at it," he said.