Chapter 22

Author's note: picture of the Mallory household.

Aiden: I'm still here for you and I promise never to touch you unless you want me to.

Me: Thank you, Aiden, but I just want to be alone right now.

Aiden: You got it.

I felt him close the link. I went back to my room and cried. What was I even doing? I'm cheating on my mate. That's what I'm doing.

With no regard to how he feels. It's like when Aiden is around, Jace doesn't exist. How is that even possible? I love Jace. There's not even a question in my mind about that.

Love doesn't even enter the equation when Aiden is involved. It's like a raw sexual need enters me and it's all I can think about. I need this to end.

*****

The next time I saw Jace was at dinner. He was in a way better mood. I didn't know if it was for my benefit or everyone else's, I just enjoyed it.

He kept feeding me like traditionalists do. It was supposed to be a romantic gesture but I found it annoying. Everyone thought it was so sweet. I endured it only because I felt so guilty. There was no defense for my behavior.

He served us dessert and let me eat by myself. It was a carrot cake more delicious than I have had before.

"Do you like it?" He asked.

"It is so delicious. I think I'll have another slice," I said.

"I made it for you. Just like you asked," he said.

"That's amazing. You really missed your calling. Maybe you could show the staff a thing or two," I said.

"Or we can go back to our pack and I can cook for you all of the time," he said.

"Okay," I said.

"Okay? You want to go?" He asked.

"Yes, but I really want to have our baby here," I said.

A second look saw my twins were actually one baby. Plus I was further along than originally thought. Jace said it was probably because I went back into time. He said it changes things.

"Why not at our home?" He asked.

"This pack is part of my family's legacy," I say. "I was born here as were half of my siblings and my dad."

"You have a point. I just want to point out that we're building our own legacy and that should include Black Moon pack," he says. "Our child would be the first one born there. I birthed this pack and I want my children born there too. I don't ask for much. At least think about it."

"That I can do," I said. "I'm still really nervous about going back there. He'll be so close."

"Stop making him a factor. This is about us. You and me. About our life together. Stop thinking about him so much," he said.

"I don't think it's that easy for her," Ezra chimed in.

"I didn't say it was easy. She needs to get a handle on it," Jace says.

"Can you?" Ezra asked.

"Can I what?" Jace countered.

"Stop thinking about Addy?" He answered.

"No," Jace said without hesitation.

"Then don't be so hard on her," he said. "Maybe you should strengthen your bond before you leave."

"That's an excellent idea. Let's do it tonight," Jace said.

Ezra was mindlinking then said, "he says he's free tonight. Come at seven. That gives you thirty minutes."