Chapter 34

Author's note: picture of Evan.

Once we were back in our house, I went to the living room and turned on the television. Nothing had changed. The Kings and Queens were still abdicating. Human TV was still full of werewolves. Suddenly, I was overcome with exhaustion.

I was going to lay on the couch when Jace came and carried me to bed. I was so grateful for him and promptly fell asleep.

The next morning he made eggs Benedict for breakfast. I took his proffered coffee and began to drink. He served us at the kitchen island.

"What are you going to do about all of this?" I asked.

"Patience, my darling. Since this is all part of the Moon Goddess' plan, I'll have to think of something. Formulate my own plan," he said. "This movement needs a leader and clearly that is not me."

"What makes you say that?" I asked between bites.

"If she wanted it to be me she would have said so. I messed this whole thing up to begin with," he said.

"What I saw was that this was always going to happen and you created the best possible outcome," I said.

"By some miracle," he said. "What do you think about your dad?"

"What about my dad?" I asked.

"He's a good leader. He makes sound decisions. People trust and rely on him," he said.

"My dad would never want that job. He didn't even want to be King. He's probably secretly glad my mother abdicated," I said.

"This is very different from being King. Most of it will be delegating if he gives the Kings back some power. That's what I would do," he said.

"What else would you do?" I asked.

"I would meet with all of the world leaders and see where they stand. Try to establish new laws to be inclusive of werewolves. That's where I'd start," he said.

"Maybe you should go ahead with your plan before you start thinking about a new leader," I said. "Get things setup so they'll have a smooth transition," I said.

"You really want me to do this?" He asks.

"No, but what's the alternative?" I asked.

My phone rang interrupting our conversation. I looked at the caller ID and saw it was from an unknown caller.

Cautiously, I answered. "Hello."

"Addison, Ezra had been attacked. We need Jace. He's not healing properly," she said.

"Serenity?" I asked.

"Yes. Please hurry," she said then hung up.

"Let's go," Jace said.

"The kids are sleeping. You just go and I'll stay here with them," I said.

"I don't think that's a good idea-," he starts.

"Please. Just go help my brother. I'm not going anywhere. Hurry up," I pleaded.

He kissed me then disappeared. I cleaned up after breakfast then went to check on my kids.
Michael was awake. I changed his diaper then set him up with breakfast while I got Alaric ready for the day.

Felicia came over with a guest. As she was making her introductions something hit me in the back of the head. I thought I saw, but that couldn't be then my world went black.

*****

I woke up on a bed, in a room I have never seen before. I tried to remember how I got here or at least what led up to it. My mind was a blank. I remembered getting a call then Jace leaving to help Ezra.