Chapter 25 - The Fifth Halliwheel

They were in the P3. Piper and Leo, Phoebe and Ben were snuggled closely together, Paris and Cole sat close by while Paige sat by herself. The all clinked their bottles. Not Paris though. “To our marriage.” Phoebe nibbled on Ben’s ear.

“Hey, this is supposed to be our anniversary.” Piper scolded her.

Phoebe looked at her. “Oh, right. Uh, to Piper and Leo’s marriage. May ours be as successful as theirs.”

“Yeah, see that still didn’t sound like it was about us.” Piper comment.

Phoebe giggled at Ben. Piper and Leo kissed. Paige was starting to feel uncomfortable. Even Paris and Cole were staring at them. “Well, alright, everybody, I, uh, am gonna go, I’m tired.” Paige comment.

“Wait, you can’t go yet, Paige. We haven’t gotten to the good part.” Ben told her.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I thought watching you guys make out all night was supposed to be the highlight of my evening.” Paige told them.

“Understandable, even is this making me sick. And don’t so this in the open.” Paris added.

“Oh, I’m sorry, sweetie, are we boring you?” Phoebe asked to Paige as then she looked at Paris. “You are sick lately, what’s going on with you?”

“No, no, it’s just it is weird seeing a girl that wasn’t the marrying type be so married.” Paige replied.

“I’m not gonna be telling here in a bar.” Paris added.

“Piper tried to tell me that it was going to be great and different.” Phoebe told Paige.

“Well, you just have to experience it and you’ll understand.” Piper added. Phoebe and Ben kissed. Then, Piper looked at Paris. “Why not tell us? You are with Family?”

“I said will not tell in a bar.” Paris corrected her.

“So there is something going on?” Phoebe asked. “Is it good or bad?”

Paris and Cole looked at each other. “It good, really good.” Paris replied.

“So what is it?” Phoebe asked. “We really want to know, so who cares if its in a bar?”

“Are you two engaged?” Paige asked.

“No.” Paris replied, but Cole couldn’t help himself and placed his hand her still flat stomach. “Cole...”

“What they can know. It after the wedding.” Cole shrugged.

The sisters looked in shock. “Are you pregnant?” They asked on the same time.

Paris glanced at Cole, then looked back at the sisters. “Yes, I am.”

“How far along are you?” Piper asked.

“Almost 8 weeks.” Paris replied, smiling.

“Still early in the pregnancy.” Piper comment.

“Yes, it is. But we wanted still to tell you guys.” Paris told them.

“So, that’s why you aren’t drinking any wine.” Phoebe noticed.

Paris nodded. “Yes.”

Then, Paige looked at Ben. “Alright, so the good part?” Changing the subject.

“Oh, yes, the good part.” Ben handed Piper and Leo an envelope. They opened it.

“Oh my god.” Piper exclaimed.

Leo looked at Ben. “Ben.”

“It’s no big deal.” Ben shrugged.

“It’s the finest hotel in Hawaii.” Leo comment.

Ben looked at him. “I just didn’t think it was right you guys never got a honeymoon.”

“Oh my god. Could you be any sweeter right now?” Phoebe asked.

Paige frowned. “Hang on, you got them tickets to Hawaii?”

“Well, not plane tickets, they’ll have to orb there. But, uh, hotel and a couple of nice dinners.” Ben replied.

“Wow.” Paris comment.

Piper looked at Ben. “Ben, I can’t believe you did this.”

“Am I missing something? Aren’t you unemployed? How did you afford this?” Paige asked, frowning.

“He’s employed.” Cole muttered to Paris.

“Obviously.” Paris muttered back.

“A-a-a-ah. That’s tomorrow’s surprise. For tonight, another toast. To Leo and to Piper, a life time of happiness.” Ben comment. They clinked their glasses and took a sip. The Seer appeared near by and Ben chokes on his drink. He coughed. Cole glanced at where he was looking, it was the seer. Why was she here?

Phoebe looked at him. “Are you okay? Baby, are you okay?”

“Fine, fine. Excuse me, I’ll be right back.” Ben walked away.

“Wow, so, you think, uh, Ben won the lottery or something?” Paige asked.

“I know I did.” Phoebe replied.

Paige make a noise. “Sorry.”

-----------------

The next day, Paris was invited by phoebe to help her shop for the honeymoon, Piper there as well. Paige was working. Phoebe came out wearing a purple lingerie dress. “Okay, what do you think?”

“Ooh, wow.” A man replied. Then, His girlfriend hit him.

“Hey!” She shouted.

“Its something.” Paris comment, feeling that she could puke any moment.

“I think he liked it and I think she didn’t.” Piper comment.

Phoebe looked at them. “Okay, but what is it saying? Because I’m going for that kind of we’re married but we’re not dead look.”

“I think it’s more of a I’m gonna wear this one night, and spend the next six months paying it off kind of look.” Piper told her.

“I agree to that.” Paris added.

“I hate it when you’re right.” Phoebe told them. She headed for the dressing room.

“But although come to think of it, you could probably afford anything you want now that Ben’s gone corporate.” Piper added.

Phoebe looked at her. "Yeah, well, I’m not gonna rely on that. And I’m not just gonna sit at home while my husband works either, you know. I mean, maybe in ten years from now like when I have kids, but not now.”

“Oh, hit a nerve?” Piper asked.

“Each person has their own opinion.” Paris replied.

Phoebe looked at them. “I just think it’s time I got a job too, you know. What do you think?”

“Uh, I think being so charming as we are, is kind of a full-time job.” Piper replied.

“Yes to that.” Paris comment.

Phoebe sighed. “Yeah, it just happens to come with a death threat in lieu of pay cheque.”

Piper shrugged. “Right, so if Ben is bringing, you know, an extra few bucks into the household why not enjoy it?”

Just then, Phoebe came out of the dressing room. “Because, Piper, Paris, it’s not about that. I have a degree in psychology that I worked really hard for and I would like to be able to use it to help people in a non-magical way.”

“It would do you good.” Paris comment.

Just then, they saw a woman in the middle of the road with cars speeding past her. They were honking their horns as they drive by. Piper sighed. “Speaking of helping people.” A car head for the woman and Piper froze it. Phoebe runs across the road and pushed the woman out of the way. Then, Piper unfroze everything and runs across the road to help. Paris followed her. “Oh, good thing that car had breaks, huh. You would’ve been road killed.”

“Totally.” Phoebe added.

Paris looked at the woman. “Are you okay?”

The woman looked at them. “Can you help me get to work? I won’t make my deadline, I’ve gotta get to work.”

“Alright.” Paris nodded.

Just then, Phoebe touched the woman and has a premonition of a demon chasing her. “Yes?” Piper asked her.

Phoebe looked at her sisters. “Innocent.”

“Of course.” Piper comment, sighing.

Then, Phoebe phoned Paige. “Paige Matthews.” Paige answered.

“Hey, uh, we’ve got a witchy type situation that could really benefit from your area of expertise. Any chance you could meet us back at the manor?” Phoebe asked.

“Yeah, I’ll be right over.” Paige replied.

“Great, see you there.” Phoebe comment, hanging up.

-------------

Piper, Phoebe, Paris and the woman walked in. Phoebe looked at her husband. “Ben, we have to, uh…”

Ben interrupted her. “Oh, this is, this is Mike. My law clerk. He was just leaving.” Then, Ben looked at Mike. “Thanks, you can catch me up on those cases tomorrow.”

“Right. Sure. Excuse me.” Mike headed for the door.

“Ben, this is Karen Young.” Phoebe introduced the woman.

“Pleased to meet you.” Ben greeted the woman.

“She, uh, she needs our help.” Phoebe told him.

Then, Mike walked outside.

-----------------

Karen told her, her story, well sort of. “I was going in early, it was still dark, I said goodbye to my husband, and I don’t remember.” She started to cry. “I don’t understand what’s happening to me.”

“Karen, I know you’re scared but we’re gonna help you, I promise.” Piper told her.

“And we will.” Paris added.

Just then, Phoebe and Ben walked into the foyer. Moment later, they kiss. Piper and Paris came in. “Uh, hi, hi-hi-hi. Innocent at foot, remember?”

“Oh.” Paris comment. “I didn’t need to see this.” 

Phoebe looked at them, blushing. “Right.”

“So she’s calmer now but won’t you hang out with you while we go check the book.” Piper glanced at Ben.

“Absolutely.” Ben nodded. Phoebe, Paris and Piper head for the stairs. Piper took a chocolate as she passed and eat it. “Uh, Piper?”

Piper frowned. “What?”

“Uh, nothing, it’s okay.” Ben laughed a little.

“Mm, suddenly I can’t wait to go on my honeymoon.” Piper comment.

“Its chocolate.” Paris comment, laughing a little. “But I don’t want any, its making me sick.”

Phoebe nodded. “Mm-hm, me either. Must be the full moon.”

-------------

Moments later, they came back in with the book. “Got it.” Phoebe comment.

Ben looked at her. “That was quick.”
“Yeah, well, we’re that good.” Piper comment as then she looked at Paige. “Thanks for coming.” Phoebe went over and cuddled Ben.

“Uh, we have a problem.” Paige comment.

Phoebe frowned. “Yeah?”

“What do you mean?” Paris added.

“I mean, what’s the problem with her?” Paige corrected herself, then she looked at the book. “Power brokers?”

“Of course.” Ben replied.

“Apparently the light ball that was thrown at Karen was a demonic power.” Phoebe added.

“Yeah, brokers sometimes use people to store powers until they find a buyer. That way thieves can’t get to them.” Ben nodded.

Paige read put loud from the book. “Human being possessed of a demonic power will become confused then frightened, paranoid, violent and demonic, will ultimately die if the power isn’t withdrawn.”

Phoebe nodded. “So good news is there is a potion to pull the power out of her.”

“There is.” Paris added. “We are thankful for that.”

Just then, Ben’s pager beeped. He looked at it. “Uh, it’s work. They probably want me to fill out more forms.”

Phoebe looked at him. “Okay, baby, well, you go and we’ll call you if we need you.” They kissed and he leaves.

Karen panicked. “I’ve gotta get outta here. I have a family to take care of.”
Piper looked at her. “Karen, your family is okay.”

“But I have a job! I-I-I have a deadline. Elise, she’ll fire me.” Karen protested.

“It’s okay, we’ll talk to Elise for you, we’ll tell her you’re with us, we’ll make it all okay.” Paige told her.

“I agree to that.” Paris added.

“I’ll go.” Piper suggested.

“No, uh, Phoebe should go. You’re the best with potions. Here, honey, take my car.” Paige handed Phoebe her car keys.

Phoebe took Paige’s car keys. “Call me if things get worse.” She leaves.

Paige looked at her sisters. “Piper… Paris...”

Piper looked at her. “This potion takes a while to brew and we’re all out of hyssop, so why don’t you stay with Karen and start cooking and I’ll go to the herb store.”

“And what about me?” Paris asked. “What can I do?”

“You can help Paige.” Piper suggested.

Paris shrugged. “Okay.”

Paige shook with her head. “No, I-I have to talk to you two about something. You’re gonna hate me for saying this but I think I saw Ben use…”

Paris frowned as Piper protested. “No. Paige, we’ve been through this a million times.”

“No, this is different. I think I saw Ben use demonic…” Paige was interrupted.

“No-no-no-no. There is nothing demonic about Ben, and whether you like it or not, he’s your brother-in-law. So whatever issues you have with him you’re gonna have to take care of yourself.” Piper leaves.

Then, Paris looked at her older sister. “I belief you.”

Paige sighed in relief. “Oh thank god, someone beliefs me.”

“Of course I do.” Paris comment. “The others don’t want to hear it.”

“Have you seen something different about him then?” Paige asked.

“No, but Cole has seen it.” Paris replied.

Paige looked at her. “So his own brother saw it? Why not our sisters?”

“Cause, they don’t want to see it. Sometimes they forget that I’m quarter demon.” Paris replied.

“How is that? To be a quarter demon?” Paige asked.

Paris glanced at Karen, who was still on the couch. “I’m fighting everyday to do good, I even see that Cole does the same. And frankly we make each other good, do good things, if you know what if mean?”

Paige nodded. “I see how your doing and honestly be yourselves. But with Ben, its something about him that I noticed, that I had seen.”

“I know and you be yourself too.” Paris told her. “And with Ben, it will reveal it self in time.”

Paige nodded. “I hope so, for our sakes.”

“Yeah.” Paris nodded also.

Then, Paige looked at Karen. “Karen, can I ask you a couple of questions? What happened to you?”

Karen looked at her. “I don’t know, I just felt him do something behind me.”

Paige frowned. “Something like what? Did you see him do anything?”

“Who are you? Why did you bring me here?” Karin panicked again.

“You are safe here.” Paris replied.

Just then, Leo walked in. “Paige, Paris. Have you seen Piper around?”

Paige went over to him. “Yeah, she’s already left. Aren’t you supposed to be on club duty?”

“Well, I’d much rather be on my honeymoon. Who is she? Is there something wrong?” Leo asked. Paris looked at him, she looked at the aura, its black. It wasn’t Leo!

Paige looked at him. “No, she’s an innocent, we’re on top of it. More importantly, I think I saw Ben using magical powers.”

Leo frowned. “What?”

“Yes. I know it sounds crazy but I think I saw his hand glow.” Paige replied.

“Paige…” Leo was interrupted.

“No, look, there’s something strange going on. All the elaborate gifts and he’s got the 50,000 dollar car, what kind of job comes with perks like that?” Paige asked.

“He won’t listen.” Paris muttered.

Leo looked at her. “So Ben gets a company car and that automatically makes him a demon in your eyes?”
“No, no, it’s just that something is different with him lately and it’s not good. Am I the only one seeing this?” Paige asked.

“No.” Paris replied, she stood and over them.

“Maybe you’re the only one who wants to see it.” Leo suggested, ignoring Paris.

Paige frowned. “Meaning?”

“Meaning that no one wants to be the fifth wheel.” Leo replied.

“That uncalled for.” Paris comment, glaring at him.

“That’s not fair.” Paige added.

Leo looked at her. “You know what’s not fair? Is you judging Ben for his past. He’s not a demon anymore and he’s part of this family.” Then, he walked outside.

“Don’t belief him.” Paris comment.

Paige looked at her. “Did you noticed something?”

“Yeah, that wasn’t Leo, meaning someone is toying with us and meanly you.” Paris replied.

Paige robbed her forehead. “Just what we need.”

--------------

Paige was making the potion, Paris helped her while Karen sat at the table mumbling to herself. “I gotta get outta here. I gotta get outta here now!” She stood up and pushed the table onto its side. She headed for the door and Paige stood in her way.
“Karen, the medicine is almost finished, after you take it you can go anywhere you want.” Paige told her.

Karen panicked. “You’re trying to poison me. You’re working for that bitch Elise. I’m gonna kill her before she kills me.”

Paris went over to them as well. “No, we are only trying to help you. No one is trying to hurt you.”

“I don’t want your help.” Karen pushed Paige and Paris onto the floor and runs into the foyer. Paige orbed out and orbed back in front of Karen. As Paris shimmered to them.

“I’m sorry, I just can’t let you go.” Paige told her.

“I’m sorry, but we can't.” Paris added.

Karen panicked. “Oh my god, what are you?” She pounced at Paige and Paris and they jumped out of the way.

Then, Ben came in through the front door and grabbed Karen. “What’s going on in here?”

“Get off me! Leave me alone!” Karen shouted.

Ben looked at Paige and Paris. “Where’s Phoebe?”

“Away.” Paris replied.

“Good question.” Paige added.

Suddenly, the power broker smoked in behind Paige and Paris as Paris felt something and away from the feeling as then Ben shouted. “Paige, behind you!” The power broker throws a white ball at Paige and she glowed. Ben let go of Karen and dove on the power broker. “Paige, Paris, get her outta here!”

“Stay away from me!” Karen held up her hands and fire came out of them, burning Paige’s arms. Karen runs outside.

“Oi!” Paris shouted.

“Leo!” Paige shouted. Just then, Leo orbed in with Piper. Leo started to heal Paige.

“Power broker, blow him up!” Ben shouted.

Power Broker blinked. “What?”

Piper blows him up. “Uh, where’s Karen?”

“Away.” Paris replied.

------------------

Paige was making the potion. She touched her head. Leo looked at her. “You should be feeling better, I healed your wounds.”

“Oh, yeah, I am just a little woozy.” Paige nodded.

Paris sat by a table as Piper came in talking on the phone. “It was like acid spray, hurt Paige pretty bad. So, um, we need to find Karen fast.”

“So our innocent is now our demon?” Phoebe asked.

“Right.” Piper replied. “But she is still our innocent. And, listen, Paige said she was ranting about hating her boss so she could be on her way there.”
Phoebe sighed. “Oh, well, great, then you should be on your way here too. Because there’s not a lot I can do against an acid breathing innocent, you know.”

“The acid is coming out of her hands.” Piper told her.

“Whatever. I’m on a deadline, okay.” Phoebe comment.

Piper hung up. “Okay, I’m gonna go to Phoebe in case Karen goes there.”

“I’m gonna to there as well.” Paris told them. Piper nodded to her.

“I’ll orb you two.” Paige told them.
“Don’t have to, I can shimmer there.” Paris comment.

Ben looked at them. “No. Your orbing’s still a little clumsy. And besides, they might need Leo’s healing powers.”

“Uh, yeah, he’s right. You should stay here in case Karen comes back. And if there’s any problems, any real problems, you can call for us.” Piper told them.

Leo looked at Ben. “Keep an eye on her will you?”

“Yeah, don’t worry.” Ben replied as Leo orbed out with Piper. Paris shimmered out.

---------------

Piper, Paris and Leo appeared in Karen’s office as then Leo was looking through the window. Phoebe was typing on the computer. Piper looked at them. “What if she doesn’t come here?”

“She will come.” Paris replied.

Leo looked at Piper. “It’s our best bet.”

Phoebe looked up. “How do you spell oblique?”

“With spell check.” Piper replied.

Just then, Karen barged in the building. Leo was still looking through the window. “There she is.”

Karen runs into a man. “Outta my way.”

“Phoebe.” Piper comment.

“Mm.” Phoebe hummed.

“Phoebe. Acid spraying innocent in the house.” Paris spoke up this time.

“Yeah, just give me a second.” Phoebe comment.

Piper opened the door. “Karen. She’s in here, she’s waiting for your assignment.” Karen walked in and looked around.

“Yes! Printing.” Phoebe shouted, happily.

“Hi, saving. Karen, we have your medicine.” Piper comment.

Acid spray came out of Karen hands. Piper jumped out of the way and Phoebe levitated. The spray melted the computer. “Whoa, it’s a good thing I was done.” Phoebe exclaimed.

“Uhu.” Paris face palmed at her older sister. Piper froze Karen.

“Someone’s coming and the door doesn’t lock.” Leo warned them.

Phoebe shrugged. “Oh, that’s Elise. She’s coming for Karen’s assignment. God, I hope she likes it.”

“Phoebe!” Piper shouted to Phoebe.

“What? Okay, okay, what do I do? What do I do?” Phoebe asked.

Piper gave Phoebe the potion. “Shove it down her throat.”

“Shove it down her throat. Okay.” Phoebe comment.

“Just do it.” Paris comment.

Piper stood behind Karen. “Go!” She grabbed Karen from behind and she unfroze.

Phoebe raced over and poured the potion in her mouth. “Sorry, sorry, sorry.”

Elise tried to open the door but Leo holds it closed. “Karen? Karen, open the door.”

Piper put Karen on the chair. A light came out of her. Leo let go of the door. “Sorry, it was jammed.”

Elise looked at them. “What the hell is going on in here? Who are you?”

“Uh, this is, this is Karen’s doctor and nurses. I told you, she very sick.” Phoebe replied.

“Is she gonna live?” Elise asked.

Leo nodded. “Uh, yeah, yeah, she’s gonna be fine.”

“Good.” Elise nodded, then she looked at Karen. “Where’s my copy?”

“Um, I don’t…” Karen stuttered.

“I have that. I have the copy.” Phoebe took it out of the printer and handed it to Elise. She read it.

“Ha! That’s funny.” Elisa comment.

“I-It’s funny? Like-like bad funny? What’s funny?” Phoebe asked.

“You should be sick more often. This is good stuff.” Elisa replied, looking at Karen.

Phoebe blinked. “Really? It is? Yay, Karen.”

“Thank you.” Karen thanked her.

Elise looked at her. “You’re welcome.”

“We did it. I mean, we did it. Yay, we.” Phoebe comment as she basically jumped.