Chapter 52

(( *hands you a shoe and lies down* Here. Just beat me with it. I understand.))

You felt a wave of anxiety overcome you as you all arrived at the location. Hatori looked like he would rather be anywhere else but here. You swallowed and followed Aysai's command as she ordered you out of the van and next to the warehouse doors. You reminded yourself that none of this was new to most of the people with you, and that it would all be over soon enough. You made sure your headset was working again as the rest of the agents entered the warehouse, leaving you and the two other men outside in front of the door.

The doors shut, and you kept a close eye on your surroundings outside the old building. You could hear the doors on the other side of the warehouse open and close as voices murmured inside. Things were already starting, and hopefully it would be smooth sailing from here on out. After a few minutes, a few voices were raised, and you and Hatori shot each other a look of concern. The voices died down, and the doors on the other side eventually opened and closed. You could hear a car start and drive off soon after, and you took this as your cue to slightly relax. Suddenly, Chuuya opened the doors you were standing next to and started heading for his car, which you didn't even notice was parked near some trees. So much for being observant.

"Well, that went better than expected. That guy was an asshole, though." He straightened his hat as Aysai followed behind him. She looked back at you and the other two men and motioned for you to get back in the van. You felt more relief rush over you that it was really over, and you weren't in any real danger anymore. 

Chuuya looked back at you as he neared his car and smiled, giving you a small wink. You smiled back happily at him, wishing to be closer to the gravity manipulator. You watched as his smile towards you suddenly began to fade, and his joy was replaced with shock. You hadn't even noticed the excruciating pain that had begun to overtake your right shoulder until you saw the blood running down your arm.

"Ambush!!" Aysai yelled, shooting at the men who were hiding behind the building. You could now hear the gunshots and pained screams of those around you. Everything seemed slow, and you saw blood now soaking your side. Then, everything was in normal time.

Chuuya grabbed you and used his ability to protect you from any further bullets that were headed in your direction. The pain all overtook you at once, and you fell completely limp into his arms. Gunshots sounded louder and louder, and your vision was completely disoriented and hazy.

"Y/N!!" you heard Chuuya's voice. You were unable to move or scream, despite the pain. Your vision was fading in and out, and next thing you knew you were in his backseat. He hurriedly took his coat off, ripping a sleeve off of his coat to wrap your wounds and create a tourniquet. You could hear his voice shake as he shouted that you were going to be okay, and to hold on as long as you could.

You couldn't keep your eyes open for more than a few seconds at a time. You could see blurs of his shaken expression as the pain surged through you. Darkness overtook you soon after, and the last things you heard were the chaos around you and the fear in Chuuya's voice as he screamed your name.

***

It was like you were floating in an abyss of an infinite darkness. Like a floating head without a body. You heard some ambient sounds, but couldn't exactly identify them. You felt a hand caress your cheek, and without even being able to see, you knew who it was.

"I miss you." you murmured, feeling your body continue to float in the nothingness that surrounded you. He didn't say anything back, but you could still feel his hand on your cheek. It was almost like you were underwater with how slow everything seemed to be moving. You lifted your hand up, eyes still closed, and placed it over his. "I'm sorry for everything. I didn't want to lose you." you softly spoke.

"Y/n, you need to wake up." you heard the detective's gentle voice say.

"I don't know how. And I don't want to. I know you think I betrayed you." you mumbled, losing feeling more and more.

"I don't." he said. You intertwined your fingers with his and felt the coarse bandages against your palm as a few tears welled up in your unopened eyes. "Wake up, now." he repeated. The last thing you felt was a soft kiss on your hand before completely losing feeling and falling into a forever of nothing.

"I'm sorry, Dazai."