Assurance

The day was coming to an end, and Dazai led you and Atsushi back to their office. Atsushi hadn't spoken much, but Dazai rambled about different things--mostly suicide. 

"Ah, here we are!" He said happily, walking towards a big building. You looked up at it. It was huge, though the office was only on the second floor. 

"So, you guys just want to ask me questions, and then I can go home?" You asked, looking at Atsushi. Atsushi raised his eyebrows, and quickly looked to Dazai for an answer.

"Hm, it's a bit more complicated than that~" He replied with a soft tone. 

"What? How?" You asked. At this time, everything seemed confusing, so you shook your head. Dazai didn't answer and hummed a little song as Atsushi held the door open for both of you. You followed behind Dazai, and finally arrived at the office.

"We're baaack~!" He called.

"About time. Hey, who's the pretty lady?" Asked a man. He had messy hair, and wore a hat. You also noticed that his eyes were closed, too. He jumped off the desk he was sitting on and offered you a ramune drink. You kindly refused, and he smiled. "What's your name? I'm Rampo." 

"Y/N." You responded quietly.

"Hey, that's a nice name!" Chirped up Kenji.

"I know, that's what I said." Said Dazai, whom you had forgotten was even there. He still stood next to you, his hands in his pockets with his usual grin. Soon, another man walked in. He had blonde hair pulled back in a ponytail, and he wore glasses. He had a stack of paper in one hand.

"Dazai. How did it go?" He sounded very annoyed.

"Ah, Kunikida! Luckily, I was able to save Atsushi and the others, along with Y/N here!" He said, moving to the side so everyone could see you better.

"What? What happened that she had to be brought here? Did Akutagawa see her or something?"

"Precisely!" said Dazai. "Don't worry, I know a good place where she will be safe." Kunikida looked at you, and then at Dazai. He seemed in deep thought, and then turned around to sit at his desk.

"Whatever decision you make, run it by President Fukuzawa first. And write a report up."

"Ah, alright. Atsushi? Could you write the report for me~?"

"What? Hey, but-"

"Thank you~!" Dazai gently placed his hand around your shoulder and turned around to leave.

"Oi, where do you think you're going, Dazai?"Asked Kunikida. Dazai kept walking and spoke with his back to him.

"Just showing her to a safe place, is all." He said, waving his free hand in the air as he spoke. Dazai led you out of the room and you quietly followed him down the stairs.

"Excuse me, I'd like to know where you're taking me. Why can't I go home?" He put his hands in his pockets and walked next to you outside. He tilted his head at you and smiled, his dark brown locks falling on his cheeks. 

"The people you saw: Akutagawa Ryunosuke and Higuchi Ichiyo."

"What about them?"

"They're members of Port Mafia. And since you saw them, Akutagawa ordered you killed, and soon he will find out that Higuchi failed and had to run. They'll be coming for you. Port Mafia doesn't like loose ends." Your eyes widened. 

"B-But I didn't see much! I just-" You stopped when Dazai stopped walking and turned to you, his hands still in his pockets. The dying sun reflected on his brown eyes, turning them to a light copper color, which you found hard to look away from. He pulled one hand out and set it on your shoulder in a comforting way.

"You'll be safe. I promise." His lips closed and turned to a smile. You felt at ease for some reason. You both stood there on a sidewalk, the golden-red sun casting your shadows on the ground, and Dazai's touch making you feel instantly calmer. You stared at him for a bit, until you realized how awkward it was. You blinked and quickly looked down. Dazai drew his hand back. 

"Yes sir, o-okay." You swallowed.

"Sir? Please, Dazai would be fine." You wanted to look back up at him, but knew it would just be harder to look away, and things would get awkward again. "Come now, it will be night soon!" He said loudly, with a sudden burst of energy that made you jump a little. He laughed as you two walked together, and he led you down the sidewalk, occasionally giving you side glances.

You felt scared, to be honest, but you felt safe. You couldn't figure out why, though. Was it his talk? His impression? Or did you just trust him from the moment you first saw him? Pushing the thought aside, you quietly walked with your new associate, Dazai Osamu.