Chapter 26

You awoke to a tickling on your nose. After sleepily attempting to swat at whatever was touching you, your hand met with Dazai's cheek.

"Ahh, Y/N is hurting me." he whined with a pout. You opened your eyes just in time to see him pull his face away from yours. You tiredly smiled at him as he sat on the edge of the bed, already fully dressed.

"What were you doing?" 

"Touching our noses together to wake you up." he  responded, winking. 

"Oh." you sat up and rubbed your eye. Dazai leaned over and moved some hair from your face.

"Were you hoping it was something else..?" he questioned with a small grin. You blinked, trying to comprehend what he meant.

"Dazai! Dirty boy!" you swatted at him repeatedly as he laughed and shielded himself from your attacks.

~Time skip brought to you by a break-dancing Fukuzawa~

"Hi, Y/N. How are you feeling this morning?" asked Atsushi with a bright smile.

'Sore as hell.'

"I'm feeling well-rested, thanks for asking." you responded with a grin.

"Oi, Y/N." Ranpo caught your attention from his desk. "I've got something for you." He held up a bag which seemed to be full of snacks. Dazai watched happily as your face lit up and you hurried over to retrieve the bag.

"Dazai, I went ahead and took care of your report." said Tanizaki, holding his hand out. Dazai's expression grew happy.

"Tanizaki, how sweet of you! I didn't expect it to be done so early!"  He exclaimed gratefully, reaching in his pocket and pulling out the proper amount of yen. He dropped it in the boy's hand and hummed to himself, happy to have another report off his back. He sat in a chair and rolled around the office, nearly hitting Atsushi a few times. You thanked Ranpo for the yummy snacks he got you. There were Hi-Chews, Pocky, gummies, and Dango--all delicious!

"Dazai, please watch out!" cried Atsushi, dodging the chair for the fifth time now.

"Sorry, Atsushi. You're such an easy target that you're hard to avoid!" admitted Dazai. 

"I want lunch.." said Kenji to himself, thinking about all the food places near him.

"I want peace and quiet." said Kunikida, trying to write something in his Book of Ideals. Ranpo smiled cutely as he nommed on a Pocky of his own.

"So Y/N,  which snacks do you prefer out of everything in the bag?"

"Well, I've always been a Pocky fan. The Dango was really good, though. It tastes different than the kind I usually get."

"Hm, so Dango?"

"Yep, I guess. They're all really yummy, though."

"That's something I can agree with you on." he chuckled, and you both simultaneously popped a Pocky in your mouths.  Fukuzawa suddenly poked his out from a door, catching everybody's attention.

"Dazai, Kunikida, come here for a moment." Kunikida immediately put his book away and stood up. Dazai got out of his chair and followed his partner into the back room, humming a song quietly to himself. You watched Dazai as he disappeared behind the door, your curiosity rising a bit.

"Are they being assigned a mission?" you asked Ranpo.

"Hm." he nodded with his mouth full. "They're often partners in most missions. Dazai is pretty OP, if you ask me."

"OP?" you questioned.

"Over-Powered." he clarified, opening his own bag of dagashi candy.

"I never asked, but... what is Dazai's ability?"

"You seriously don't know? He hasn't told you after all this time?" asked Ranpo with surprise in his voice.

"It just never came up." you admitted, shrugging. Ranpo ate at his candy patiently as he began explaining.

"Dazai's ability is called 'No Longer Human'. Basically, he has the ability to nullify any other ability simply by touching the person. That's why he's so powerful."

"That's..actually incredible." you admitted with admiration. "Wow, I can't believe I didn't know that until now."

"Eh? You mean you're just now finding about about Dazai's ability?" questioned Kenji. You looked at him and nodded.

"Yeah. What's yours?" you asked. Kenji smiled and pointed at himself with his thumb.

"I have superhuman strength!" he stated proudly.

"Whoa, really? I would not have expected that." you told him with a smile. Ranpo pointed at Kenji accusingly.

"Tell her about the catch." he said. Kenji nervously rubbed the back of his neck.

"Well..I only have superhuman strength on an empty stomach. And I fall asleep as soon as I eat.." he said with a hint of hesitance in his voice.

"I still think that's really awesome, Kenji." you patted his head. Kunikida and Dazai entered the room, talking among themselves. Dazai stopped mid-conversation to call to you.

"Y/N, Kunikida and I will be taking care of a few things. Give us an hour or so." he winked. You blushed a little and nodded.

"Thank you for letting me know." you replied. Dazai turned his attention to the other ADA members.

"Keep her safe for me~" he told them, holding the door open for his partner. Ranpo gave a thumbs up before Dazai left. 

About 45 minutes later, Kunikida entered the room.

"Hey, you guys are back early." you said, smiling at the blonde man.

"Just me. Dazai stayed to deal with an issue." said Kunikida.

"Is everything okay?" you asked, concerned about Dazai's safety.

"Yes. There's nothing to worry about. I'm sure he'll be back before 4'o clock." responded the tall man, sitting down to start on his report. 

An hour went by, and Dazai still wasn't back. You were more bored than anything, and it was almost 4' o clock. The door opened, and you immediately looked up with hope.

"Finally, you're back!" you said happily, looking at the bandaged brunette. Dazai approached you and lazily hung his arms over your shoulder.

"Sorry for the wait, I hope you weren't too bored." he kissed the top of your head. You got out from under him and smiled, glad that he wasn't hurt or anything.

"It's okay. What took you so long?" you asked.

"Ah, I'll tell you about it later. Is it time to go home yet?" he looked around for the clock.

"We still have half an hour." said Kunikida without looking up from his laptop.

"Oh, good." said Dazai, pulling a chair to him. You sat in one as well, slowly spinning it. "I guess I'd better start on that report, hm?" 

"Yes." said Kunikida, typing away. You smiled and looked at the pretty scenery through the Agency windows, grateful for the calm moments. After everything that you had been through, this is what you missed the most.