Chapter 29

No, that's stupid. An active Port Mafia member could never care about anyone.

You walked stiffly with the gun still pressed against your back. You could sense Chuuya was on edge. He knew Dazai was about to kick his ass one way or another, and you knew it, too. You exhaled and did your best to stay calm. Flipping out wasn't going to do anything except make it more difficult for Dazai to get to you.

"I don't want to go back, Chuuya." you stated, knowing your words meant nothing at this point.

"Yeah, well it looks like neither of us have a choice." he said back. You both turned a corner and began approaching a black vehicle. It was bigger, more like a van. Chuuya opened the door to the backseat and pushed you in. You climbed to the window seat and Chuuya got in after you, shutting the door. "Drive, now." he said to the driver hastily. The farther you were driven, the more worried you felt. You tried to distract yourself by making conversation.

"What happened to your car?" you asked Chuuya.

"Oh, that was a rental." he looked out the window, obviously distracted by his own thoughts. After a moment of awkward silence, he found his eyes trailing back towards you. He couldn't keep from noticing the details of your soft skin. His eyes fell upon the faded scars on your wrists from being restrained on your first 'visit'. He cleared his throat, mentally fighting with himself.

"Chuuya?" you asked, startling him. His staring was so obvious.

"Hm?"

"Are you okay?" you stared into his blue eyes, trying to figure him out. He sighed and reached over, very gently taking your wrist in his hand. You blushed at the sudden contact, taken aback by how gentle he was. He stroked the small healed cuts and marks with his thumb, inspecting each and every one. When he was finished, he pulled his hand away and looked up at you.

Y/n, Mori wants you to work with us." he said, looking right into your eyes.

"What..?" you questioned. It was such a sudden statement, and one that you weren't expecting. "Why? I don't have any special abilities or training, and I couldn't take a life. I just couldn't, Chuuya...I don't have it in me." your eyes trailed to the floor, and you began to feel nauseous. He lightly lifted your chin to meet his gaze. Your cheeks were growing hot, and you knew that your face was probably red all over.

'Dazai is the one I want.' you told yourself, upset that you were beginning to feel this way about another man. Chuuya smiled reassuringly.

"You wouldn't be doing any dirty work. At least not for the time being. You'd get used to everything and pretty soon, it'd be nothing more than a way of life." he said. You swallowed and lowered his hand from your chin.

"I'm happy where I'm at. I'm happy with the ADA and..I'm happy with Dazai..." you said, secretly conflicted.

His face didn't change, like he knew what you were going to say. He took his hat off, meeting your gaze once again.

"Y/n, can't you see that-" You were both thrown across the seats when another vehicle slammed into yours. The car spun out of control, eventually flipping over and landing in a ditch. 

Your head hurt, and you were dizzy. The noises around you echoed, and it was hard to make out what was happening. You couldn't feel anything, but you knew something was wrong. Red covered your legs, soaking the car seat. You glanced over at Chuuya's side, hazily seeing him slumped over in his seat.

"Ch.....Chuu..Chuuya.." you breathed. Your head was pounding now, and you could hear tires screeching as if people were arriving to help you. You reached your shaky hand out, trying to feel for him. You felt his coat, weakly gripping onto it before blacking out.

"Y/n L/n."

You heard a voice echo.

"Y/n L/n." he repeated.

You opened your heavy eyelids to see a bright light being shined in your eyes.

"Y/n L/n"

"Y..Yes..that's my name..." you replied in a quiet, croaky voice. You couldn't focus your eyes on anything at all. The man standing over you shined his flashlight again, stretching your eyes to keep them open. He clicked it off and stuck it back in his coat.

"She's responsive." he said, handing a clipboard to someone and walking away.

"Dr. Miyano will be back for you shortly." said a female voice, which you barely made out.

"W-Where..am I?" you mumbled, still having a hard time staying conscious.

"You're in the clinic. You had a bad accident." spoke the nurse.

"C-Chuuya...Dazai.." 

"There was no one by the name of Dazai. There was Chuuya, though." she said. Things began to become a tiny bit clearer, and words were easier to understand.

"Where's...Chuuya?"

"Nakahara Chuuya didn't make it. I'm sorry."

Her words echoed on forever.