Chapter 41

You slept uncomfortably, constantly waking up with nervous sweats all throughout the night. You tossed and turned, whimpering Dazai's name every so often.

Your sleep was disturbed around 7:30 am when someone knocked loudly at your door. Your eyes shot open and you sat up quickly, your heart already pounding. 

"H-Hello?" you called, rubbing your eyes as you tried to appear awake.

"Shooting range at 8:15. Don't be late." called a muffled voice from behind the door. You heard footsteps depart and took that as your queue to start getting ready.

"I can do this." you said aloud, trying to start your day off with a little motivation. You tiredly stood up and made your way to your bag that you left on the floor last night. You pulled out a F/C long-sleeved shirt that clung to your body and showed off your curves. Then, you slipped on some elastic black jeans that had a few rips on the front from past wear. 

After washing your face and running a hand through your hair to fix it, you put on your boots and searched for your phone. You slipped it in your back pocket as you headed for the door after seeing that it was 7:45. You figured it would take you a hot minute to find the shooting range. You grabbed your door key and and unlocked it to get out, then locked it again once you were back in the hall. You were still extremely tired from lack of sleep, but you were too on-edge to notice. It was like you woke up an entirely different person with an entirely different life, and this was your first time seeing the world.

You exhaled a shaky breath as you approached the elevator at the end of the hall. You pressed for the first floor, assuming the shooting range would be outside somewhere. Once you arrived at the bottom floor and the doors opened, you stepped out and looked around. There were definitely more people now, all of them hurrying as if they had important business to attend. You kept your gaze lowered as you found your way to the front entrance. You saw that there were two different men standing there.

"Excuse me. I'm supposed to be at the shooting range." you said, trying to keep your cool.

"It's behind the building." said one of the men.

You thanked him and turned around, starting to speed up. You checked your phone and saw that it was now 7:55. As you continued down the long halls, you started seeing more people. But, one stuck out to you in particular. 

Dazai walked past you, whistling a tune to himself. His eyes landed on you for a split second, and in that moment you felt your heart explode with ecstasy. You stopped and smiled with relief and joy.

"Dazai!" you exclaimed. You reached out for his arm and gripped it to get his attention, only to have him shake you off and continue walking as if nothing happened. You stood still, watching as the brunette walked away. He had looked at you for sure, but he didn't react. He didn't care.

He must have misunderstood and thought that you had betrayed him and the Agency. That had to have been what it was. You started running after him, determined to straighten everything out. You ran in front of him, forcing him to stop and look you in the eyes.

"Dazai, I-!"

"I think you have me confused with another person." he smiled, then moved around you.

"It's me, Y/n!" you reached out for him again.

"Please excuse me. I have places I need to be." he called back without looking at you. You let your hand drop slowly as you watched him walk farther away. You were stunned, unable to comprehend what just happened.

He really looked you dead in the eyes and acted like you were somebody he didn't even know. Your heart sank as you came to the conclusion that he now only saw you as a traitor. He was probably hurting more than you were.