Chapter 47

It was now going on 1 in the afternoon, and you were growing concerned with your now useless leg. You and Chuuya were now in the kitchen, talking about random things and catching up.

"Chuuya, do you think I'll still be able to do the mission? My leg is hurting even more now.."

"Did the numbing cream not work?" he asked, throwing some papers in his trash.

"It did for a little, but I guess it wore off pretty quickly." you answered, glancing down at your bandaged shin. You had now been at his house for an hour, and it was kinda nice. However, you were re-thinking going back to Dazai's right now. Especially when you had a mission coming up.

Maybe it'd be best to wait. Yeah, it's a bad time to run away now.

"Hm, must've gone bad. I didn't know stuff like that expired." he spoke to himself, placing a dish in the cabinet. He was now wearing his normal black pants with a white shirt tucked into it. His gloves were still on, too. You looked him over from the kitchen chair, thinking.

"Hey, do you think you could get me out of the mission?" you asked hopefully.

"Not unless I was the one who assigned it to you." he finished tidying up and approached the table, looking over some envelopes. "Only the person who appointed you on the mission could get you out. Besides, it won't be bad. You're literally just standing outside while I talk to some guys. What're you so afraid of?" he looked at you.

"I'm just scared. What if things go bad and there's a firefight? What if these people are violent, or I mess up, or I misfire, or-" 

"Hey, calm down." said Chuuya, softly. He was gently holding you by your shoulders, squeezing slightly to bring you back to reality. "It's going to be fine. And you know why? Because 90% of the people surrounding you are experienced. I'm experienced. You'll be okay." he said, not looking away from you.

"O-Only 90%?" you asked hesitantly.

"God." Chuuya exhaled and smiled a little, standing up. "Y/n, look me in the eyes. Stop being a scaredy cat. I'm sure they've given you training. If nobody thought you could do it, then you wouldn't have been chosen. But, you were. And I'll be there to save your ass again if something happens."

"I don't want you to have to do that." you mumbled, lowering your gaze. "I just don't want to be involved with any of this."

"I know," he turned away and went back to his task of sorting through envelopes. "but, shit happens. And we just have to stick through it instead of complaining."

You didn't say anything, knowing he was right. 

"Chuuya."

"What?" he asked, a bit of annoyance in his voice.

"What would happen if I just left?" you asked, twiddling your fingers.

"Well, you'd probably be killed. So, bad idea."

"Yeah...figured." You were both quiet now. You were going to have head back around 4:30 so you wouldn't be late for the meeting. So much for escaping..

"I know things are stressful for you right now." he said, not looking away from what he was doing. You watched him open different papers and look them over, waiting for him to continue. "But, you're strong. You may not think so, but you are. And stubborn as hell." he met your eyes and smiled a little. "How about around 9 tonight we sit down and have a drink ? You seem like someone who can hold her wine."

You were quiet for a moment, trying to accept that you were no longer leaving. 

"Sounds good." you said, folding your hands in your lap.

~Time skip brought to you by a drunken Chuuya~

After a few hours of small talk, you were now back at HQ in your uniform. Chuuya had taken the liberty of calling a taxi for you so you didn't have to walk back. You arrived at your room, sighing as you entered and setting your bag by the bed. Everything was just as you left it. You grabbed the key from where you had last set it and put it in your pocket. It was 4:45 now, meaning you'd have to head to the 5th floor for your meeting. You exhaled slowly, leaving your room and locking it. You entered the elevator and stood next to a few people in the same uniform. One of them seemed to be averting his gaze, so you figured he was new, like you. He had normal-length black hair with bangs that hung straight above his blue eyes. His skin was a rose beige color, and he was about 5'9. When the elevator opened, everyone stepped out onto the same floor.

You glanced back at the boy, who looked to be no older than 17 or 18. You tried to make conversation as you walked next to each other.

"I'm Y/n. Are you going on the warehouse mission?" you asked with a kind look.

"Yeah..it's my first."

"Mine, too." you replied. He hesitantly looked you in the eyes.

"I'm Hatori, by the way."

"Nice to meet you." you said, smiling. After turning down the hall, you saw a large room with the doors open. Aysai was standing at a round table with a large paper spread out. You took a deep breath and entered, hoping it would be over soon.

Surprisingly, it only lasted about half an hour. However, the second you left the room you remembered what you had going on tonight. The dinner.

As much as you wanted to avoid it, you couldn't. Hopefully you'd recognize a few faces there, and afterwards you'd go back to Chuuya's. You eventually arrived at your room, wondering if you should change into something nicer or keep the clothes you had on. After pondering for a few minutes, you decided to stay in uniform. If the dinner was taking place somewhere outside the building, then it would have been understandable to change.

You found yourself thinking about Chuuya and how he rescued you from...whatever the hell that pig was going to do to you. Seeing him standing there so concerned was the last thing you ever expected to see. And not to forget, he killed that man to protect you. 

The more you thought about him, the more you wanted to see and hug him again. You were in a panic with everything when he saved you, so you didn't really get to react the way you wanted to. You were more stunned than anything in the moment.

You sat on your bed and pulled out your phone, going to your recent calls. You were about to try Dazai's number when you hesitated. Part of you knew he probably wouldn't answer, but the other part felt like it wasn't even worth trying anymore. 

You slipped your damaged phone back in your pocket and groaned quietly, keeping tonight in mind. Honestly, you were most looking forward to spending time with Chuuya after the dinner was over. Maybe you'd get drunk and forget about everything for a bit..