Chapter 24

After farewells to the Agency members, you and Dazai began walking from the building and down the street.

"Are you hungry?" he asked you.

"Not too much, but I wouldn't mind grabbing a quick bite." you smiled purely.  You both continued down the sidewalk. Dazai found that he couldn't keep his eyes away from you. You casually glanced over in his direction and caught him staring. He gave an embarrassed chuckle and tried to play it off.

"Y/n, your hair looks very pretty today."

"Thanks, I'm not really doing anything different with it, though." you giggled at him. You just found his excuse for staring at you adorable. A man and woman walked past, happily chattering. You noticed that the man happened to be wearing a black coat.

Your happy moment soon ended when you had a flashback to your time in the dungeon at Port Mafia. The man with the black coat, Akutagawa. He had managed to terrify you without even inflicting any physical pain upon you. Just watching him had set a fear in your brain, and his ability was just as scary. You felt your knees go weak, and black dots clouded your vision.

"Y/n? Y/n are you okay?" you heard Dazai's voice, edged with concern and confusion. It seemed like the ground was growing closer, and you realized you were falling. Hands caught you, saving you from the concrete.

Suddenly, your vision cleared, and your head no longer swirled. Your senses came back one by one. You heard some birds chirping, then you felt the wind blow. Once all your focus was back, you saw Dazai looking down at you with an unreadable look on his face. You realized you were laying in his arms, while he was kneeling on the ground.

"Ah..sorry." you said softly, trying to get out of his hold.

"Hold still. Don't struggle." He placed a hand on your forehead. You removed his hand.

"I'm fine, Dazai. I just got a little dizzy is all." You pondered for an excuse to keep him from worrying too much. "I must be more hungry than I realized." You sheepishly laughed. The look on his face said it all. He was..scared? No, maybe worried, it seemed.

"I think you should rest when we get home." He eased you up, even though you felt completely fine.

"But, aren't we going to grab something to eat?"

"Let's get you home first, then I'll go pick something up. I'll let you choose the place as well."

"Dazai.." you smiled reassuringly. "I'm fine. Promise."

"I'm sure you are, Y/n. But, you've had a long day, right? You need to rest anyways." You sighed quietly. You had kinda looked forward to going out to eat with him.

~Time skip brought to you by a wiggling Ranpo~

-

"Dazai, I promise. I'm fine!" You sat up in futon that was laid out for you. He kneeled and hovered over you as he pushed you back down gently.

"No, Y/n. Just rest here for a bit, okay?"

"But I don't need to." you complained. You made another attempt to sit up, placing a hand on his chest to push him away. Instead, he resisted and leaned down, pressing you back against the sheets. He placed a sudden kiss on your lips, and held it for a moment. Your eyes were wide with surprise, but the kiss was so sweet and loving. Remembering the first time he kissed you, you were hit with nostalgia. It made you want more suddenly.

You closed your eyes as your arms made their way to wrap around the back of his neck. You pulled him closer, feeling the movement of his lips moving against your soft ones. He fondled with your hair gently, then caressed your cheek with the back of his hand. You smiled into the kiss, your heart light.

He pulled away unexpectedly, leaving you flustered and confused. He had a loving smile, gazing into your eyes.

"I still need to pick up some food, Y/n."

"I-I'm not all that hungry anymo-" your stomach rumbled, and you shyly blushed. He grinned slyly, then stood up from off the ground. You sat up as well and folded your hands into your lap.

'I'm lucky I'm not a guy, otherwise I'd have a pretty obvious boner right now.'  You thought to yourself. But, then another thought popped into your head.

'Maybe...Dazai has one??' Your cheeks turned redder, and you tried to casually glance at him. Unfortunately for you, he had already turned away and begun to walk off. You mentally cursed yourself, but quickly shook the thought.

"Ahem, Y/n?" He called from the doorway. "Is there any particular place you want food from?

"Ah..no, I'm okay. I'll let you decide." You smiled at him, and he returned it. He left your sight, leaving you alone with your thoughts and feelings. You facepalmed yourself suddenly.

'Argh, I forgot to look at his pants!'  You collapsed back against the futon and let out a breath. After hearing Dazai leave, you lay there for a while before finally getting up from your spot and wandering into the living room. Catching a glimpse of yourself in the mirror, you saw how ragged you looked. Your hair was messy, and your eyes had dark circles under them. You decided to wash up in the bathroom, hoping Dazai still had the spare toothbrush that he kept for you.

After washing up, you went into the kitchen and sat in one of the chairs. You noticed an open scrapbook on the table, with some pictures scattered around it. You recognized one of the pictures, with the three men at a bar. One of them was obviously Dazai, yet he looked so different. You picked up another that caught your eye. It was just Dazai, sitting on a bar stool with a cat by his left shoulder. His eye was bandaged, just as it was in the other photograph. Honestly, he looked...kinda hot. You left the pictures alone, figuring that it was none of your business.

But then a feeling hit you, and you remembered something. Something that you had forgotten about completely. Something about Dazai, that you had been meaning to ask him about. You needed answers.

Dazai worked with Chuuya in the mafia.

((NEXT CHAPTER IS NSFW. DON'T LIKE? DON'T READ.))