Chapter 39

"Y/n?" you felt a pair of hands gently shake you. You opened your eyes, unaware that you had drifted off. You sat up and blinked away the sleepiness, now seeing Dazai in front of you. 

"Sorry, I didn't realize I fell asleep. Are you finished?"

"For today, yes. Have you decided what you want to do?" he asked. You moved your hair from your face and noticed from your window that the sun was setting. You looked back at him and smiled a little.

"Can we play a game? Like, a board game?" you requested. Dazai shyly scratched his cheek and looked to the side.

"Eh, I don't actually own any...would you like me to run to the store and buy one?" he asked, feeling embarrassed for not being able to provide the one thing you asked for.

"It's alright, Dazai. We don't have to do that," you eased, "maybe we can bake something!"

Dazai stayed quiet, avoiding your gaze once again. You quietly giggled, patting him on the head.

"Okay, baking's out of the question. Let me think..." you trailed off, trying to think of ways to spend time with him. "Oh, I got it! We can--" you were cut off when he kissed you softly, placing a hand on your cheek to keep you close. You felt chills on your arms from the unexpected kiss, but you enjoyed it, nonetheless. You closed your eyes as you melted deeper into his lips, softly gripping his arm for leverage. You two stayed like that for a moment, living only in the moment you both shared. The sweetness from his kiss made you woozy, and it was like you were floating in a blissful sky of love. As his lips moved against yours, you added more pressure to the kiss and moved closer to his chest.  He ran a hand through your hair and pulled away, placing his forehead against yours. He found your hand and gently intertwined his fingers with yours, treasuring the feel of your soft skin.

"Y/n...I-" a knock on the door startled the both of you, ending the tender moment. You both looked out your doorway for a moment before Dazai sighed. He stood up and left the room, leaving you pouting and wishing that whoever it was would just go away. You got up a moment later and walked down the hallway, peeking into the living room. Dazai kindly spoke to a girl who looked no older than 12 or 13. She must've been selling cookies or something. You heard your phone go off in the other room, prompting you to leave and fetch it. 

You answered it, but it was just someone who had just dialed the wrong number. After they apologized, you hung up and placed the phone on your dresser. You lingered for a moment before remembering what you were doing. You casually went down the hall and back into the living room to see if Dazai was still at the door with that little girl. However, what you saw alarmed you.

The door was wide open with nobody in sight. You frowned, approaching the door and looking outside. There wasn't a soul in sight. A rush of wind hit your body, making you immediately step back inside and close the door. 

You shuddered from the cold feeling and hesitantly looked around as if expecting to find him. You were alone in the house, and a small panicked feeling began to set in. You told yourself to calm down, but there was no possible way you could explain his disappearance. Just a minute ago he was here...

Dazai wouldn't just leave for no reason. And, if he did then he would have at least closed the door.

Did that girl kidnap him?

 No, that was a preposterous idea. That child looked like she couldn't kidnap a bug if she wanted to. You swallowed and glanced around the room once more. You stopped when you saw the folder sitting on the kitchen table. You walked over to the table and slowly picked it up, knowing that you shouldn't open it. Maybe you could call Kunikida and see if he'd help. You sighed shakily, placing it back down.  

As you did this, a piece of paper slipped out and floated down to your feet. You looked down, quickly crouching and picking it up. It was a map of Port Mafia HQ. Your eyes widened with realization, and you mentally cursed yourself by not thinking of it by now. Could it be that the girl was mafia? No way, she was too young. Then again, they probably didn't care about age. 

You folded the paper and thought intensely. You started to feel more panicked at the thought of him being detained by the mafia. But, you reminded yourself that it was nothing new to him, and he could handle himself. However, he was technically an enemy, so what were they going to do? Why did they want him?

"I need to tell the others." you said aloud, your heart beating fast. You looked back at the map in your hands, a new thought occurring. You shook your head at the stupid idea. You weren't going there alone.

But, it was highly likely that any ADA member would be recognized immediately. You, however were wanted as a hire by Mori. And, it was likely that Akutagawa was the only one who knew your face. It was the smarter option, but you knew deep down that you should still let the others handle it.

Something told you that they would come to the same conclusion as you just did. You squeezed the paper in your hand as a sweat drop ran down your face. 

I'm not going to be a bother to them anymore.

You folded up the paper and sprinted back to your room as your mind raced with thoughts. You changed into some dark jeans and boots with a black shirt and jacket. You dug through your things and grabbed a bag to put more clothes in. You had no idea how long this would take, but you were prepared for anything. You wanted to prove to everybody that you weren't just a damsel in distress.

You inhaled a shaky breath as you placed your phone in your pocket. The sun was down now, so it would be easier for you to get there without being seen. You looked at the map one more time, biting your lip. Maybe a taxi would be a good idea.

Once you were sure you grabbed everything essential, you slipped the map in your duffel bag and turned all the lights off. You locked the door from the inside and stepped out into the cold world, terrified and determined. You sprinted down the sidewalk until you got more into the city. It took you a little minute, but you were finally able to wave down a taxi. You didn't want to give an exact location, so you gave him directions one by one.

When he was about half a mile away, you told him to stop. You paid the man and got out, checking the map again. You stood there for a moment, reading the map under a street lamp. The air got even colder, and you knew you had to get to shelter soon. You kept the map in front of you as you speed-walked. After almost 10 minutes, you finally found yourself standing in front of the large, familiar building. 

You swallowed, suppressing the fear that flared inside you. You placed the map back in your bag and lingered for another moment before taking the first step towards the front door of Port Mafia HQ.