Chapter 45

You left the range, trying to think of something else to keep you busy. Maybe it would be a good idea to ask someone higher up if they needed help. As much as you wanted to avoid work, maybe there were some non-violent tasks you could do in the meantime. You caught Aysai leaving a small room and quickly called out to her.

"Oh, Miss Aysai!" you hurried towards the taller woman.

"What is it?" she held a large stack of papers in her arms.

"I'm not really sure what else I can do today. Is there something I can help you with?" you asked. She thought for a second, raising a brow.

"I guess you can take these to 548B. It's a series of reports from my last mission."

"Okay. Where exactly is 548B?" you asked, taking the heavy stack from her hands.

"Take that elevator over there," she pointed, "fifth floor, to the left. You'll find it."

"Great, thanks. Anything else after this?"

"Just prepare for your mission. Also, don't forget that we're going over things in more detail later today." she said, fixing her sleeves.

"Yes ma'am." you nodded your head and left to go deliver the reports. It felt good to actually be doing something instead of wandering aimlessly. You stepped in the elevator with a few others, keeping to yourself and not making eye contact with any of them. You were the only one that stepped out on the fifth floor, much to your relief. 

You walked the quiet carpeted floor, noting how this area reminded you of a bank or an office. You finally came across the correct room and slowly opened the door. There was nobody there at the moment, but it looked like people had been working at the desks earlier. You looked around, unsure where to put the stack. After searching for about 10 minutes, you found a file drawer labeled "Hanarumo Aysai". You put the stack inside, feeling a slight sense of accomplishment. 

But, now you were left to wander aimlessly once again. You stood still in the empty, silent room. A small sense of panic started to take over you, and you knew you had to distract yourself soon. You brushed some hair behind your ear and left the room. You stepped back in the elevator, forcing yourself to think of other things. Maybe it'd be a good idea to just go back to your room and relax.

You pressed the button for the third floor and put a hand in your pocket. When the elevator stopped and you stepped out, you were taken aback to see more people on the floor than usual. Some talked normally, while others seemed to be having serious conversations. You hesitantly looked around and started walking towards the end of the hall. More people stayed on this floor than you realized, obviously. As you were walking, a certain conversation caught your ear.

"Do you think the dinner is going to be long?"

"I'm not sure, I'm just as nervous as you are."

'The dinner with Ougai is tonight! ' you suddenly remembered. You felt very nervous at the thought, but knew it was unavoidable. Hopefully it would all go smoothly and you wouldn't slip up in front of him. You weren't used to any of this, and the more time you spent here, the more agitated and panicked you became deep down.

Out of desperation, you pulled out your phone to dial Dazai's number while speeding up to get to your room. Straight to voicemail again, which was no surprise. You stopped about 6 feet from your door, feeling a sense of unnerve. You clenched your teeth and tightened your grip around the phone, feeling suddenly upset with everything that was happening. You let out a yell as you slammed your phone on the ground, your breath quickening with frustration. You stayed still for a moment, your hair in your face with your gaze glued down. It was getting unbearable now. You didn't want to be here any longer, and the only thing keeping you from leaving was fear. Your teeth were still clenched with exasperation while your hand twitched slightly.