Chapter 28

The gunshot sounded loudly and suddenly. You felt your heart stop for a moment. You cared for them both deeply, and the thought of either of them getting hurt or dying just made you sick to your stomach.

It happened so fast. Your head hurt and you couldn't bring yourself to look around the corner. Dazai's voice pulled you from your trance and your heart skipped a beat.

"Once again proving how hastiness leads to mistakes." said Dazai, shaking his head. You couldn't help it, you had to see it to make things make sense. You looked back. Dazai was now standing behind Chuuya, who was gritting his teeth and looking angrier than before.

"Dammit, Dazai! I need the boy!" he angrily swung around and pointed the gun back at him.

"You haven't even heard my proposal." replied the brunette. You hid back behind the wall, thinking about how he could've possibly dodged the bullet. Then it hit you. Fukuzawa rarely ever sent anybody out on a mission alone. There had to have been someone else here.

Tanizaki. He was projecting an illusion of Dazai! You mentally praised yourself for figuring it out. 

"Mori better like whatever deal you've got." said Chuuya, frustration in his voice.

"My deal isn't for Mori. It's for you." he smirked. Chuuya didn't seem to show any interest. Dazai continued. "Drop this mission, and I'll give you anything you ask for. If it's within my power, of course." Oh boy, was he going to regret that. Chuuya went silent for a moment, lowering his head so his hat was covering his eyes. He thought to himself, knowing there could be consequences. He slowly lowered his gun and met eyes with the taller man. He approached him slowly, then yanked him down to whisper something. 

You couldn't hear, so you had no choice but to look back. You saw Chuuya whispering something, while Dazai's look slowly changed from confident to surprised. He stood back up straight, looking down at Chuuya.

"Are you..being serious?" he asked, his eyes still wide with shock.

"It's within your power." he stated confidently.  

(calm down my little horny goblins <3)

Dazai cleared his throat. "That is not what I expected you to say.."

"Well, it's what I want." replied the red-head. Dazai sighed.

"I'm sorry, but no." he said firmly. "Anything else would be fine, but not that. It's not up to me in the end." Chuuya nodded in understanding, then raised his gun again.

"I figured you'd say something like that. No deal, then. Just give me what I came for." he had a sharp look in his eyes. You couldn't take it anymore. Somebody was going to die if you didn't intervene.

"Stop!" you yelled, running towards them. Dazai looked even more surprised.

"Y/n?" 

"Y/n?!" exclaimed Chuuya in confusion.

"Please, please! Just stop with all the threats and gun-pointing and fighting!" you begged. Dazai turned fully towards you with a stern look on his face.

"Y/n, go. Now." said Dazai.

"Why the hell are you here?" asked Chuuya.

"I'm here because you're trying to kill him!" you motioned to Dazai with your arm.

"That's none of your business." said Chuuya, putting his gun away.

"For once, I agree with him. Y/n, leave. Please." said Dazai, looking at you with uneasiness.

"I won't. Not until this all ends." you gave them both a stubborn look.

"Believe me, Y/n. This is above you and I. This has to do with more than just us. It's Port Mafia." stated Chuuya. 

"Then leave. Leave it all behind. Stop letting some high and mighty asshole make you do these things! Is this the kind of life you like living?" you questioned, hoping you were getting through to him. He walked over to you, placing his hands on your shoulders. Dazai did not look happy.

"Chuuya, I'd back off if I were you." said Dazai in a low voice.

"Can it." he called back, his eyes not leaving yours. "Listen, punk. As much as I'd love to take a 3 month paid vacation, I can't. I have a job, and with that job comes work. You may not like it, but this is my life. Just like it was Dazai's." 

It all hit you again. You met Dazai's gaze. He looked a bit troubled, as he obviously didn't want to bring it up or address it with you there. You wanted answers, really, you did. You wanted to know if Dazai was truly a good person. You wanted to know what he'd done and what he was capable of. You knew it wasn't really your business, and the past is the past. But...you'd been living with him. You just needed to know.

"Are you going to go now?" asked Chuuya, grabbing your attention back.

"I..." you sighed. "No. I don't want either of you hurt." you knew Dazai was probably questioning why you cared about Chuuya as well. That explanation was for another time. Chuuya nodded in understanding.

"Then I guess you're going to help me. Sorry, Y/n." he said, patting your shoulder. Before you could question him, he yanked you forward and spun you around so your back was pressed up against him. You felt the cold barrel of a gun press against the side of your head.

"Chuuya!" yelled Dazai, now sounding angry. Your heart started to race.

"C-Chuuya, how could you-"

"Be quiet, Y/n." he began to back up with you restrained. He activated his ability to make sure you couldn't kick him in the shin or anything. You had never seen Dazai look so defeated and unsure. He watched you with seriousness, his eyes turning dark. He was far from you, yet you could sense a very bad aura beginning to emit from his being.

"Sorry again." said Chuuya, so quiet you could barely hear. As he backed out into the sidewalk where it was more public, he lowered the gun so it was pressed against your back and nobody could see. You were now both walking with others, trying not to act suspicious. You were no longer paralyzed as not to make it obvious that you were being held against your will.

"Chuuya, please." you whispered, trying to keep it together.

"Its business, okay? Trust me, the last thing I'd ever want is to point a gun at you. I need to accomplish my mission."

"I understand that, but-"

"No. Just keep quiet." you both walked through the crowd and headed in the direction of the nearest port. Where was Tanizaki? What was Dazai going to do? Your heart sank as you thought about going back to Port Mafia again. You didn't know what was going to happen. You knew it was possible you may not even come back alive.  Chuuya seemed to read your mind after taking in your silence. He started to speak. "I don't want to keep you captive anymore, punk. I don't. I know it hurts you and believe me...it hurts me too." his voice sounded softer. You immediately noticed it, understanding that this was a last resort for him. It almost made you believe he cared about you...

((FORGIVE ME MY BEAUTIFUL BSD BABES. I'M SOOOO SORRY FOR MY SLOW UPDATE, LIKE IT'S BEEN A LITERAL YEAR TF. MY SCHEDULE IS MUCH BETTER SO GOOD NEWS, I WILL UPDATE MORE!! ALSO IF YOU READ THIS PLEASE COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT CHUUYA DICC. I KNOW THIS IS A DAZAI STORY BUT I SEE A LOT OF PEOPLE FAWNING OVER CHUUYA AND I JUST WANT TO WRITE WHAT MAKES YOU GUYS HAPPY! SO PLEASE COMMENT AND TELL ME WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE AND I WILL DO MY BEST. I LOVE YOU ALL!!!))