Chapter 44

You woke up hours later to your phone ringing. Your heart jumped at the thought of it being Dazai. You searched around for it, blinking to gain focus. You answered the phone quickly and put it to your ear.

"Hello?" you asked, your voice hoarse.

"Your mission assigned for today has been moved to tomorrow at 3:00 pm." said a woman, who hung up immediately after. You exhaled and let the phone drop against your sheets. As relieved as you were that you could get extra sleep, you were also very disappointed that it wasn't who you thought it was. You glanced at the clock on the side table. It was almost 6 am, so you rolled over and pulled the covers over your head to go back to sleep.

You opened your eyes around 9 am, feeling fully-rested and refreshed. You sat up slowly and stretched, basking in the warm sun rays that shined through your window. Despite the current situation you were in, you actually felt pretty good. It was nice getting to sleep in a little after getting up everyday before 8. You figured that Rei knew about your mission, and hopefully didn't know it got moved.

You left the bed and went to wash up in the bathroom. Even though you were nervous for the mission, you felt kind of excited. But, only because it didn't sound as dangerous as you thought it would be. Well, it did sound dangerous, but you knew it could be a lot worse. Plus, you knew you weren't going to be alone and that eased your mind. Another part of you felt guilty, but that was nothing new at this point. You were just going to have to accept how things were for now and understand that it's not likely to change overnight. Maybe a miracle would happen, but until then you were going to suck it up and fake your way through as much as you could.

After getting ready and changing into some warm clothes, you grabbed your phone and wallet and headed for the door. When you opened it, you were surprised to see a red box on the ground. A gift, maybe? No, that doesn't sound very mafia-like.

You picked it up and went back into your room, placing the box on your bed. You took the top off to reveal a women's suit. It was black like the rest of the suits everyone else wore. You carefully lifted the shirt and jacket out, admiring the soft fabric. After taking the pants out, you saw a pair of black dress shoes. They had a feminine look about them, yet also looked comfortable enough to run in. As you pulled them out to examine them closer, you saw a gun at the very bottom of the box. You paused, slowly setting your shoes to the side. You grabbed the gun and held it in your hand, making sure the safety was on. You felt a spur of uneasiness in your gut and placed it back in the box.

You swallowed, reminding yourself that you were now somewhat experienced with it and that everything would be okay. You decided that maybe it was best to change into your new clothes before you left. You seemed to be the only person walking around in casual clothes so far.

Once you changed, you admired yourself in the mirror. You were surprised by how well everything fit. You liked how you looked in the suit, and it honestly made you feel like you were more official. But, you knew that wasn't exactly a good thing.

You decided to get some breakfast, so you grabbed your phone and wallet before heading out. You felt confident in your new outfit, regardless of how similar it was to everyone else's. Once you left the building you decided that you'd stick with the same place you'd eaten at the day before. You still had yet to try the breakfast dishes.

After ordering some Chawanmushi, you sat alone and pulled out your phone. After being on it for about five minutes, you felt an overwhelming sense of loneliness. Maybe it was because this place sort of reminded you of the restaurant you ate at with Ranpo. Or, maybe it was just because you weren't quite used to eating alone anymore.

When your food came, you thanked the waitress and started on it immediately. You ate quietly, wondering how you were going to spend the rest of the day. 

Once you finished, you begrudgingly arrived back at Port Mafia, wondering if Rei was free for some extra training. You decided to tell her that because your mission was moved so suddenly, you overslept by mistake. As you continued down the halls of HQ, you couldn't help but overhear someone mentioning your name. You paused, looking around to see if you recognized anyone.

You heard that the voice was coming from another hall further up, so you decided to have a peek. You saw a taller woman with long, maroon hair and eyes a beautiful bright green. She was standing with about four other uniforms, going over a few things. She honestly didn't look that old, and was possibly your age or younger. She looked up and spotted you, seeming to already recognize your face. You swallowed and stood completely in view now, trying not to appear as if you were being sneaky.

"Sorry, I heard my name as I was walking." you admitted, hoping she would understand.

"It's actually good that you're here. I thought I was going to have to track you down later. Come look over this with us." she said, waving you over. "So, Y/n will be stationed outside by the dock with me while the rest of you guard the entrance. Should you hear any sort of commotion, stay put. You are not to enter the warehouse unless I say so. Understood?" 

Everyone nodded, looking at the map that was laid out on the paper.

"Good. Now, we really don't expect to have to resort to violence, but these are people we've never dealt with, so we can't be too careful. If I notice any of you slacking off, you'll have to deal with me and the boss personally. Is that clear?"

"Yes ma'am." said everyone in unison. 

"Good. I look forward to working with you all. I know this is everyone's first mission, so remember to stay alert and keep a sharp eye. We'll meet on the fifth floor at exactly 5:00 to run through things one more time. That's all I have to say for today. " she lowered the papers and looked you in the eye. "Did you get all that, Y/n?"

"Yes ma'am, miss..." you trailed off, not knowing her name.

"Aysai." she said. You nodded with a polite smile. 

"Great, I'll see you a 5." you bowed your head respectfully and took your leave when everyone else did. Aysai seemed nice enough, and that eased your mind. You looked forward to working with her later today. You stopped walking when you realized that you were headed in the opposite direction.

'Oh, right. Shooting range.' you paused and started walking back towards your destination. After reaching the back doors and covering your ears from the gunshots, you spotted Rei working with another person. She looked at you when you approached her and stopped what she was doing.

"I thought you were on a mission." she said.

'Ah, so she didn't know.' you thought.

"I was supposed to be, but they called me really early in the morning to tell me it's been moved to tomorrow. I was so groggy that it slipped my mind until I overslept and woke up." you told her.

"Oh. Well, I'm kind of busy with someone. I would say you can free practice over there across the field, but I don't feel comfortable letting you shoot alone right now."

"Then why am I being sent on a mission?" you asked, a sweat drop appearing on your cheek.

"Who's your supervisor?"

"Aysai, I think.."

"You'll be fine, then. She'll look out for you. Now, get on. I have someone to train." she turned away and went back to the person she was helping. You felt a bit nervous, doubting everything you thought you were confident in. But, Rei knew the people here better than you did. If she said that you'd be fine with Aysai, then you had no choice but to believe her.