Chapter 48

You walked down the hall of the top floor towards the boss's room. Your stomach flipped when you heard him speaking with other subordinates. You inhaled a deep breath and entered, plastering a calm look on your face. Mori glanced at you and acknowledged your presence with a nod, turning back to his conversation. You saw Hatori standing there nervously, not sure whether or not he should take a seat.  You approached him, slightly relieved to see a familiar face.

"Hey, ready for dinner with the boss?" you asked, motioning towards Mori.

"My appetite is gone. I'm too nervous." he responded, looking off to the side. 

"I feel that. But hey, I'm sure it'll all go by smoothly." you said, a reassuring look on your face. He nodded hesitantly. You both realized that more people were entering and taking seats, so you did the same. You sat next to him towards the middle of the table, looking around at the others who had joined you. You didn't recognize any of them, but you knew you'd learn their faces eventually. There had to have been about 20 people total.

Once everyone was seated, they all looked toward the boss who sat at the head of the table. He had his usual smirk, resting his chin on his folded hands.

"First, I would like to thank everyone who came tonight. I'm sure you are all wondering why I have invited you to dinner," he waved his hand slightly, and people that appeared to be waiters came and poured water in everyone's glass. Mori cleared his throat and continued, "I have called upon you because you are all relatively new to us. It's always a pleasure to receive new recruits. Consider this dinner as a welcome to all. I trust that you will enjoy your time with us." his eyes landed on you, and you swallowed from nervousness. With the snap of his fingers, more waiters came, holding dishes for each person. 

You glanced up at the waiter next to you who quietly set a plate of Gyudon in front of you. It seemed that everyone was served the same thing. You saw Hatori eyeing his plate with a hungry look in his eyes. It smelled wonderful, no doubt about it.

"You may begin." said Mori, closing his eyes and smiling. Everyone was hesitant to start, but eventually they took the first bite and found it hard to stop. Conversation eventually made its way to the table, lessening the tension of the room. Hatori focused on his plate, so you did the same. Hopefully, the sooner you finished the sooner you could leave. 

Things were more comfortable by the time you were halfway through your dinner. You glanced at Hatori, who was already finished and looking at you.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to stare. Do you think we can leave now?" he asked quietly.

"I would wait until we're dismissed." you answered, taking another bite. Right then, a hand landed on you and Hatori's shoulder, startling the both of you.

"Enjoying the dinner?" asked Mori, smiling. You both stiffed up, nodding.

"Y-Yes sir." said Hatori, forcing a smile. 

"It's very delicious. Thank you very much for the warm welcome." you said politely. He patted your shoulder, squeezing it for a moment.

"Of course. I don't doubt you two will serve us well." he replied, walking on to the next person. You both exhaled, sharing a quick glance.

When nearly everyone was finished, Mori dismissed the group. As you were leaving, you saw the little blonde girl sitting by his desk and playing with some dolls. She must've just come out, because you hadn't noticed her before. 

'His daughter..?'

"See ya, Y/n." said Hatori, giving a small wave.

"Oh, bye!" you waved back as you walked down the hall with numerous others.