Chapter 34

You hoped your eyes didn't appear red from crying as you sat back down next to Dazai.

"Who was it, Y/n?" asked the brunette with a smile.

"My sister. She had a bit of a bad day." you said.

"Send her my best wishes." he said, patting your shoulder. A straw wrapper hit the side of his head, causing him to look to his right across the table. He squinted, trying to figure out if it were Kenji or Kunikida. 

"It wasn't me, Dazai." shrugged Kenji, unable to hide his smile.

"Oh? Then who was it? Kunikida?" he asked, grinning. Kunikida took a bite of his food.

"Don't be stupid. I'd never involve myself in a game so childish."

"Well, somebody did it." said Kenji, playing innocent.

"I guess it's safe to say that there is an imposter among us." said Ranpo, butting in. A tick mark appeared on Kunikida's head.

"You can't seriously think it wasn't Kenji." said the blond, balling his hand into a fist.

"I don't know, Kunikida," shrugged Dazai, "you can't trust anyone these days." 

The two argued back and forth, and Dazai only gained more laughter out of it. Eventually, Kunikida got pissy and refused to speak. You nudged Dazai, smiling a little. 

"Don't be so mean. He's not as playful as you are."

"Yes ma'am." he made a pouty face and you giggled in return. You all talked for a little longer, enjoying one another's company as it got darker outside. Towards the end of the dinner it looked like Kenji was about to fall asleep from eating so much. Everyone took that as their cue to start getting ready to leave.

After having that little talk with Ranpo, you felt better. You didn't really get to vent, but the fact that someone knew just kind of comforted you and made you feel like you weren't alone in the situation. It meant that you had someone to talk to when needed. Thank God it was someone you trusted. 

"Ready to go?" asked Dazai, standing up. You realized that everyone was now grabbing their belongings and saying goodbyes.

"Yeah, sorry. Lost in my thoughts." you replied, pushing your chair out from the table. Dazai held his hand out for you to grab and helped you stand up. You brushed off your dress and grabbed your purse, keeping his hand in yours as you all walked outside. The moon was shining bright, and it made the city look 100x more beautiful.

"Bye everyone, get home safely." said Yosano, walking her own way. You looked for Ranpo, catching his eye. All you could do was smile and give a quiet little wave as Dazai wished Yosano a good night. Ranpo waved back, giving you a friendly smile before turning away and heading in the opposite direction.

Once everyone went their separate ways, you enjoyed the peaceful walk home with Dazai.

"Did you have fun?" he asked, looking at you while he walked.

"I really did. I'm glad we did this. I'm totally down for another night out with the others."

"I agree. Are you tired?"

"Not in the moment, but I'm sure once we get back the drowsiness will kick in." you said. He raised your hand to his lips and kissed the back of it.

"Get all the rest you need. It's been a long day for you." he said, smiling. He couldn't get over how beautiful you looked right now. To him you were always beautiful, but with the moonlight hitting your skin, illuminating your skin and eyes just right...you were a Goddess to him. He stopped, still holding you hand. This caused you to stop as well, wondering what he was doing. He pulled you into his arms unexpectedly. He sighed, resting his cheek on your head.

"Dazai, are you okay?" you asked softly.

"I'm sorry."

"For what? You haven't done anything wrong." you said, truly confused.

"I just am. I'm not so sure your life has changed for the better since we met."

"But, it has." you insisted.

"No, Y/n." he pulled away, resting his hands on your shoulders. "Not with everything you've had to endure. You've been brought into trouble that you had no business being in. All because of me." you stepped away, shocked that he would even think of blaming himself.

"What? Dazai, no. No." you scoffed, shaking your head. "Things just happen, okay?" you placed your hands on his face, getting him to pay close attention. "Things happen..because they are meant to. I'm still alive, aren't I? I'm still here talking to you." you explained, your voice getting softer towards the end. Dazai's mouth inched into a small smile, and he tenderly grabbed your wrists, lowering your hands from his face. He almost looked sad through his smile. You returned a hopeful smile, trying to reassure him that everything was okay. "Let's just head home, okay?"

"Okay." he finally said, the look of doubt and sadness fading away behind a truer smile. You linked arms with him and walked back, enjoying the quiet of the night as a gentle breeze caressed your face. It had been a good night for you.

When you arrived home, you tossed your purse on the couch. 

"I'm going to change." you said, kissing Dazai's cheek before walking to your room. You happily changed into a cute F/C nightie, excited to show Dazai. It had been buried away in your clothes for a while, and you only recently found it when you were searching for an outfit earlier. You put it on, admiring your cute self in the mirror. You decided to quickly wash your face and brush your teeth in the time being. Once you were finished, you contently went into the living room to show Dazai. However, he wasn't there. You glanced back and realized he might be in his room, so you went down the hallway to his door. Just as you were about to knock, you caught sound of him talking. You figured he was just on the phone again.

'Don't wanna disturb him. I'll wait for him to finish.' you thought as you turned away. But, then you heard something that you couldn't ignore.

"After she falls asleep, okay?" he said.

You stood completely still, not sure what to think. Screw eavesdropping, you needed to know. You quietly pressed your ear against his door, your heart beginning to beat fast.

"It shouldn't be that long, she's pretty tired. I'll be over soon enough, and we can do it there. Okay, see you soon~."

You felt like you couldn't speak. You didn't know what to do. It was too obvious what he was up to, and you couldn't convince yourself otherwise. Your heart felt heavy, and you knew that you were about to cry.

You silently let your tears fall as you backed away from his door. You slowly turned around and walked back to your room, closing the door gently and leaving the light off. The moonlight shone through the window, guiding you through the dark room. Once you got to your bed, you crawled in without a sound.

You shakily hugged your pillow to your body as more tears came. You didn't whimper, you didn't sob. You just let the tears stream down your cheeks, and you closed your eyes.

"Please be a dream." you cried to yourself, almost inaudibly. 

((NEW CHAPTER COMING TONIGHT!))