Chapter 38

"Dazai, tell me about your mission with Kunikida." you said, making conversation as you walked the breezy streets.

"Well, it's more of the Agency's mission altogether. Kunikida and I are just overseeing it." he corrected.

"I'm curious. Kidnappings? Killers? Human Trafficking?" you urged him for details. Dazai gave an apologetic smile and placed his left hand in his pocket as he walked with you.

"I think it's best that I keep everything business-related where it belongs." he responded. This surprised you.

"What do you mean? I've literally come to work with you. Nobody ever cared about keeping anything from me before." you stated, feeling confused by his withholding of information. Dazai gave you another smile and looked away, taking in the city view. You waited for him to say something, but he didn't. Instead, he waited a few moments before changing the subject.

"Do you still want to go shopping later?"

"Don't you have work to do?" you glanced at the folders under his arm.

"Always, but I want to spend time with you~"

"Maybe you should focus on your work like Kunikida said." You didn't look at him. Dazai raised an eyebrow, realizing that you were somewhat annoyed. You shivered as a gust of wind hit your face, blowing your hair back and making your nose turn red from the cold. Dazai handed his folder to you, so you stopped momentarily and took it from him, shivering a little more.

He slid his long coat off and draped it over your shoulders, moving your hair out from under it. He pulled it tight on you, smiling to himself as he did so. You couldn't help but blush a little from his sweet gesture. It was the little things that you loved more than anything. He took the folder from your hands and lightly blushed at the sight of you in his oversized coat.

"Better?" he asked, meeting your eyes with a loving gaze.

"Yes. Thank you." you held his coat close around your body and embraced his scent. He placed a hand on your lower back to get you moving again as the air grew cooler. You looked up at him as you neared his house, your nose still red and cold. "Dazai?"

"Hm?" he glanced at you lovingly.

"Can we stay in tonight?"

"Of course. Whatever you feel like doing is fine with me. Though, I will be somewhat busy with my work," he held up the folder, "not for long, though. I'll do my best to get it done within the afternoon." he finished.

You pondered as to what could be so important that he was actually taking time outside of work for. You figured that he had finished everything for the day with Kunikida, but you were obviously mistaken.

When you arrived at his house, he unlocked the door and let you in. You hung his coat on the rack for him and slipped your shoes off. You watched him as he placed his files on the coffee table and relaxed on the couch. He immediately started to open them, but stopped when he noticed that you were still there.

"Oh, Y/n? Would you mind preparing some tea for the both of us?" he asked, closing his eyes and smiling innocently.

"Oh, sure. I'll get on it." you turned around and headed to the kitchen. It was a bit weird for you that he was being so secretive, and you were honestly surprised that he asked you to make tea. You didn't mind doing it, it's just that he always insisted on doing everything for you, so it caught you off guard for a second. You quietly hummed the same song you heard him singing so long ago as you boiled some water and got out the tea bags. "Which tea do you want?" you called over the kitchen sink.

"Doesn't matter. Whichever you prefer, I'm fine with." he replied, already reading intently. You picked a random one, preparing the cups and waiting for the water to finish boiling. After a few minutes, you finished making the tea and brought his cup into the living room. You stood behind him for a moment, happening to glance upon the paper he was reading.