Chapter 7 - "You've Won My Respect!"

Chapter 7 – "You've Won My Respect!"

Vertigo Town
Arlington County, VA
Wednesday, April 29, 2076
11:46 EST GMT-5

Finishing the first trial was cake. But now, we were soon going to face actual enemies, with actual weapons, who'd actually want to hurt us. But hey, it's like the old adage goes: 'Never bring a knife to a gunfight!' and looking at these beasts and seeing them carrying daggers and swords; I knew this'd be no different. Of course, I only prayed it doesn't get worse.

"Now, we have the final round of trials for these newbies!" spoke the announcer. "The only rule here, is to survive! You'll be facing off against the worst of mutants, and also some marauders. Just keep shooting at 'em, and keep at it, until you've got no bullets left! Careful, though! Ammunition is abundant; however, these creatures are fast and smart. Recommend aiming for the head as much as possible."

The gong suddenly chimed, and the trial had begun. Suddenly, those beasts appeared from doors, all around me. I didn't bother to think, I just aimed and fired. Given my military training and combat experience, I was shooting very efficiently. Then I saw them, the marauders. They were human like us, but from what I figured, prisoners from the Vertigo Town Central Jail. But just when I thought luck was in my favor, yeesh. These assholes were wearing bulletproof vests and helmets. My shots couldn't even penetrate such a powerful armor.

"Oh, jeez!" I said in stress. "This'll flare up my PTSD."

"You can do it, Ace!" shouted Aurora. "I have faith in you, Austin! I love you!"

"I can do it!" I told myself.

Then I just began to shoot rapidly at the marauders, aiming for their arms and legs, whichever parts weren't covered by the impenetrable armor. I just kept shooting, just to slowly cripple them. It came to the point, some fell dead, from massive blood loss, or just passed out, too injured to fight. Only ten seconds after that did another gong chime, indicating the trial was over. Then of course, it was Aurora's turn, and then Ranger's. But as usual, it wasn't different from me, they each finished the trial in no time.

"The challengers have won!" shouted the announcer. "They now qualify, to stay in the city!"

Everyone in the audience then cheered and applauded. I was relieved, hearing that news was not only good, but it was much needed considering we woke up in a post-meteor landing dystopia, and in a world where humanity had been pushed into smaller settlements, like it was World War II, and everyone was now living in concentration camps.

"It's official!" said Wheeler. "You've won my respect! Also, you've won the rights to stay here. This is an amulet for your efforts."

He then handed each of us an amulet, a small circular, disc shaped object, with a button on it.

"This is your key, in and out of the city. You can also use it as a beacon to call for backup, by pressing the button. Should you or anyone run into trouble, or get lost, we'll send someone to fetch you." Wheeler continued. "One more thing, while you're living with us, you'll be responsible for finding ways of making your own living. But, once you're out there in the desert, you'll be responsible for staying safe. We'll be there for you, as much as possible, should any conflict or trouble arise, but know this, the desert is more dangerous, outside the walls. The weather is unpredictable. It does rain, but seldomly, and you'll need to keep your gear with you, at all times."

"Noted." I said with understanding.

"Yeah, makes sense." Aurora concurred.

"Lousy thing, but yes, agreed." Ranger said in dismay.

"Now, make your way to Shelley's Bar, and speak to Shelley Stoner, she may have work for you. Her bar is entirely staffed with robots, save for her. She owns the place. But know this, most jobs are now done by machines, which leaves the only jobs either in a virtual reality system, or fixing robots and other machinery. Believe me, it's not that bad. You're only putting in twenty-four hours a week. You can work four six-hour days, or three eights. Doesn't matter. Money will be sent to your banks automatically."

"About that, I'm still surprised we stopped using dollars, in favor of that cryptocurrency." I expressed.

"You like the foxcoin?" asked the mayor.

"I don't understand it, it's a made-up money!" I exclaimed.

"All money is made up, from the time of the first men, to the creation of the United States dollar in 1792, around the time our Constitution was written and established." Wheeler spoke in support of crypto, then held out a one-hundred-dollar bill, encased in a picture frame. "It's just the thought, where we all decided it was the means to trade for good and give it value. For example, this one-hundred-dollar bill from 2030. It has Benjamin Franklin's face on it, and it says the number one hundred. But who gave the idea that this piece of paper is worth one hundred dollars? Again, it is what it is. We're done for today, I've no more work for you. See you again tomorrow. But go talk to Shelley."