Chapter 33 - At the Coal Mine

Chapter 33 – At the Coal Mine

Desert Wasteland
Arlington County, VA
Sunday, May 3, 2076
10:34 EST GMT-5

Having to wake up on a weekend wasn't fun, but I got up by ten in the morning, and after thirty minutes, got on the road to go to the coal mine. Aurora didn't want me to go alone, so I took her with me. It felt strange indeed, but it was what it was. I needed to meet Kilmann and reason with his sorry ass. It took about three miles of driving, along with shooting marauders along the way. We finally arrived at the mines.

"This is the place, but let's not get too close." I spoke. "I.V.A.N.A, take the car back. I'll let you know, when I need it back."

"Yes, sir!" said I.V.A.N.A. "Sending the car back to the city."

The car then started to drive itself back to Vertigo Town and sped up to dodge any marauders and mutants on the way. We then started to walk the half a mile we got off from the mines. I.V.A.N.A then spoke up.

"There is a small tunnel in a cave you can use to enter the mines. You don't need to go through the main entrance!" said I.V.A.N.A. "Even Kilmann and his team are unaware of."

"Show me the path, I'll go through there. Aurora, stay close." I said, then I moved towards it.

"10-4!" said I.V.A.N.A.

We saw the cave mentioned earlier and stepped inside it. Like any cave, it was hollow, and you could hear dripping water. We then switched on night vision and heat sensors and saw the bats hanging upside down on the cave ceiling. We just made our way, until the end of the tunnel. Next thing you know, we were in the mines. But then I saw, we were standing on a man-made building, we looked up and saw the sky and the sun shining down on the mines. I realized we were by some ceiling windows on the roof, so I quickly dropped down, and so did Aurora. We also saw drones patrolling above us, so we turned on our reactive camouflage and became partially invisible. We then crawled towards one ceiling window and looked down from the roof. We saw him, George Kilmann, on the holographic communicator, speaking with a big mutant.

"That must be the mutant leader!" whispered Aurora.

"Shhh... let's hear what they're saying." I whispered.

"I've told you, I'll have more power crystals, by week's end. I'll deliver it to your lair as promised." Kilmann declared.

"A deal is of no value, if you can't deliver, my dear general!" said the mutant leader on the communicator. "I grow impatient of your puny gestures, give me the agreed upon power crystals, or your team, and every town in Arlington County, will pay the price!"

The mutant leader then ended the call.

"He's toying with us!" said Kilmann's second in command, Col. James Alan. "Let me lead an assault on his lair, before it is too late!"

"No!" said Kilmann. "I know what happens of such foolishness. No, strength is their weakness. We must get that weapon ready, if you'd spent more time on that, than to flirt with that mayor's daughter at the bar, in Vertigo Town, by now we'd have it ready."

Suddenly, Aurora sneezed.

"What was that?" said Kilmann.

I then rolled away from the window, and so did Aurora.

"Sorry!" whispered Aurora.

"Bless you!" I whispered back.