Chapter 60 - Free and About

Chapter 60 – Free and About

Burning building, Kanzen City.
Korolev Crater, Mars
Thursday, May 7, 2076
20:08 EST GMT-5

Ace: Finally, the fire caused some pressure differential to the pipe, it began to crack. I then began to jerk my arm badly, to break free from the chains. Then, when I least expected it, the pipe broke. It was a water pipe, and water splashed and poured down all over the floor. I then grabbed my gear from the table nearby and left the room. The fire began to calm down, as the sprinklers continued to shower down.

"I.V.A.N.A, we got to get out of here, now!" I said to my virtual companion.

"I agree!" exclaimed I.V.A.N.A.

Then I saw her, Aurora. She entered the building and looked at me. Then she signaled to move.

"Ace, we must leave now!" shouted Aurora.

"On it, let's get off this rock, and back to Earth, ASAP!" I said in joy.

"You read my mind!" said Aurora.

We then walked out of the building and found Ranger.

"Thank God, you both are okay. We must go. The shuttle departs back to Earth and soon!" said Ranger. "I don't like this place!"

"Add it to the blacklist, boss!" I spoke in anger. "We're never coming back here, again!"

We made our way back to the shuttle as soon as we could. We also made sure our gear was ready to be packed up and go back to Earth. I was mad at myself, for even thinking we'd save the world like this. Then again, wasn't really mine or anyone's fault. As soon as the shuttle prepared to launch, and the coordinates for Earth were input, we then sat back and relaxed, finally glad that the tension was de-escalated.

"Once we've accomplished our mission, drinks are on me." I told my gang.

"No, you got us many times!" said Ranger. "Let me do the honors, this time."

"Whatever you say, sir." I declared with a sigh of relief. "If it's all the same to you, I suggest we take a few days off, before getting back into it."

"I second that. I need some R and R." Aurora concurred. "I miss going to the beach. I hope one day, they'll decontaminate the oceans."

The three of us then laughed. We decided to just crack some jokes on the way back, and told story after story, about the time we enlisted in the Armed Forces, and how we came about to be where we are today.