Chapter 57 - Explaining the Situation

Chapter 57 – Explaining the Situation

Kanzen City Police Station, Kanzen City
Korolev Crater, Mars
Thursday, May 7, 2076
18:28 EST GMT-5

Aurora: To be honest, growing up and having read some sci-fi books, as well as also seeing some movies, cartoons and even TV shows of that genre, like anyone, I imagined our future to be a fruitful one. Perhaps with flying cars, robot maids, moon colonies, extra-terrestrials, and teleportation pods. Okay, maybe that shit won't exist for another two hundred years or so. I can't say time travel would ever be a thing. But this? A future where we are living in detention camps on Earth, as if it was World War II? Something terribly went wrong while we were knocked out for forty-two years. My best guess? The economy sank really low, and people became hungry for wealth and power. Damn! We entered the police station and went to the reception desk.

"How can I help you?" asked the robot, working behind the desk.

"We must speak with the police chief, or whoever the officer in charge is." Ranger explained.

"Precisely, it's an emergency!" I exclaimed, trying to stay calm.

"That would be our police lieutenant!" said the robot. "Her name is Sharon Collins. Or should I say police captain, she was just recently promoted. She starts as a captain on Monday."

"Got it!" Ranger said.

"I'll inform her first, before you go in there." The robot declared.

"As you should! Thank you!" I finally got some excitement.

We then walked through the turnstiles ahead. It was quite an office, with robot guards and janitors, as well as police cops. There were human officers too, perhaps not too many.

"Lt. Collins office, is just up ahead." One of the robot officers said, as they pointed out the office.

Once we arrived, we knocked on the glass door. The lieutenant, who was sitting at her computer, signaled us to come in. We then got inside and stood in front of her.

"Have a seat." Lt. Collins said, and we obliged. "What seems to be the problem?"

"We've come from Earth, on behalf of the United States Space Force – Special Secret Service Ops, to explore and find out what's going on down there. Why is it that the Moon and Mars are now a safe haven for humanity, and Earth isn't! Also, it's fair to mention, that our brother-in-arms, Austin Moore, call-signed 'Ace' was abducted while investigating that old house in an address we found at a junkyard, not far from here." I explained to the soon-to-be captain.

She looked at us in shock.

"Don't tell me!" said Collins. "You're the Space Force guardians, which went into hibernation, forty-two years ago, and emerged into our time?"

"You catch on very quick!" I said in shock. "And now our fellow guardian will die, unless we can save him."

"Listen, ma'am. I understand. But this is beyond our jurisdiction, and way above our pay grade." Collins explained. "However, I can escalate this to our Special Task Force, they are out elite division. They hold jurisdiction all over the planet. To be honest, I'm surprised you'd even wish to save that derelict of a planet. But I guess I do owe you that much, since I support my country's armed forces."