Chapter 55 - Finding the Old House

Chapter 55 – Finding the Old House

Suburbs, Kanzen City
Korolev Crater, Mars
Thursday, May 7, 2076
17:08 EST GMT-5

We didn't waste any time coming to the aforementioned address. Aurora, Ranger and I checked the suburbs, and it did seem very lively. Reminded me of the neighborhood I grew up in, prior to joining the armed forces, prior to Mithra landing on Earth, prior to hibernation. Okay, now I'm just overthinking it. We arrived at the house. This is where I then turned to look at my team.

"At this point, I'm going in to check it out." I told my team. "You must go from here."

"Austin?" Aurora looked at me. "You're not saying?"

"We're splitting up for now. You and Ranger just wait nearby but get away from this house." I told her. "I'll check out the place and inspect it. If something is fishy in here, I'll signal you. But you must leave, and I mean now."

"You don't need to go in alone. We always stay together." Ranger said.

"I know, however this time, I'm saying only one of us should check it out. Besides, it's a small empty house, I won't be too long." I explained to my commanding officer.

"You just be safe. And keep your gear on you." Ranger instructed.

"Wilco!" I responded.

I then walked towards the house. As I passed through the front gate, and made my way to the front door, I looked at the garden. It was beautiful, with plants growing, water sprinklers spraying on it, as well as plant food being distributed via flying drones. Then I reached the front door. Obviously, it was locked, which was surprising, as the house was clearly abandoned.

I then looked around me, found a rock. I thought if I bang it on the doorknob, perhaps I can break the lock. Then I thought to myself, if that was even a good idea. Granted the house is abandoned, but that doesn't mean it's something to break into. I then opened my bag to look for my tools, and then I opened it with a lock pick, which thankfully worked.

"Alright, guys! I'm in!" I told my team over the radio.

I then explored inside the house. I turned on the night vision goggles I had, as it was dark. The light coming through the windows didn't really help much. I saw not only was the place abandoned, but it had many pictures of the previous tenants, and their personal belongings, now covered in dust.

"What am I looking for in here?" I said to myself, with my radio on.

I went on my way through the house, searching for any possible clues. Not that I knew where exactly to go. It was then I got a call on my cell phone, which was vibrating. I was confused. The call came from an unknown number. I then answered it, but kept my radio online, so Ranger and Aurora could be in the loop.

"Hello?" I said over the phone.

"You're looking for answers in that old house, aren't you?" said the voice on the other end.

"Who's asking?" I said over the phone.

"You've arrived at the address I left on the computer. Surely, you wouldn't think we wouldn't find out. Just keep going down the hall. We'll chat and I can fill you in on what you need to know!" said the voice.

I then walked towards the end of the hall. I, of course, didn't know what surprise awaited me. Then I felt it hard, something hit my neck, small and sharp. It was no doubt a dart, filled with some drug to knock anyone out for hours.

"Never... trust... a... random... voice..." I tried to speak, as I was falling into nothing but black.

"Austin!" I could hear Aurora shout, before I was out.