Chapter 38 - The Essence of Confinement

Chapter 38 – The Essence of Confinement

Ace's home, Vertigo Town
Arlington County, VA
Monday, May 4, 2076
23:22 EST GMT-5

We may have passed out and fallen asleep around eight at night, but after three hours, my eyes opened, and I felt thirsty. I went downstairs to get water. I should've gotten myself a cup to put at my bedside. Aurora just slept there, on my bed on the other side.

"It's crazy. Left my world behind forty-two years ago!" told me to myself as I went down the stairs. "Woke up in a modern-day Nazi Germany type of dystopian world, and now, I've put my family, friends, and other people in danger."

"I wouldn't say you did that!" said I.V.A.N.A. "It wasn't your fault; you did what you had to."

"Even then, I didn't imagine the world would be in turmoil." I told my AI friend. "I hope the future will be better."

"If it makes you feel any better, just knowing you survived a potential catastrophe is better than burning alive in it." I.V.A.N.A said, not intending to sound morbid.

"Thanks!" I chuckled, as I got my cup of water and drank it.

"Austin?" said a voice. "You okay baby?"

I saw it was Aurora. She came downstairs wearing a robe. She then sat on the sofa next to me, kicked her feet up to the side, as she put her arms around me.

"I'm alright, just was thirsty. I won't lie, Julia; it's kinda hard accepting this reality." I spoke honestly.

"Nobody wanted this, babe!" said Aurora. "If it wasn't for that asteroid, we'd be normal, back where we were. But this is our present now, and I'm happy to have this with you!"

"Same thing!" I said to my love. "Had it not been for you, I'd not enjoy my present today."

"Just know one thing, I'll be there for you no matter what!" said Julia. "I hope you'll understand that!"

"I know, baby!" I spoke in a romantic mood. "I'll be there for our kids."

We both sat there and embraced for some time. I didn't know what the future was holding for us, but I knew right there, it definitely wouldn't be a repeat of the past. I wasn't letting anyone go, and now I have a purpose to fulfill, no crooked authoritative figure, or nasty beast was going to stand in my way.