Chapter 20 - Not So Friendly Mayor

Chapter 20 – Not So Friendly Mayor

Jordan City
Arlington County, VA
Thursday, April 30, 2076
14:15 EST GMT-5

It already was a quarter past two, when I arrived at Jordan City. I saw some policemen, and other citizens. This town looked strange, it did look futuristic for sure, but it had more of the Old West vibes, as it was around 1876. I only know this, having watched a lot of those classic John Wayne and Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Western movies. The roof of the city was a large digital OLED screen, showing the outside sky of what was outside the dome. And more drones were lighting up the city streets, some even serving as traffic lights.

It took a while, but I finally made it to the mayor's office. Then I looked ahead and put my head down. They had more of the Gunsmith Battalion's guards patrolling the city. I was lucky to sneak around them. Upon arriving at the door, I suddenly stopped hearing an electronic voice on a small speaker.

"Halt!" said the voice. "You must be the errand boy, of Mayor Wheeler from Vertigo Town."

"Yes, it's me!" said myself to the voice, I could tell it was Mayor Nelson. "I was told you've been having power issues."

"Yeah, yeah!" said Nelson. "Come on in, and I'll fill you in!"

The doors opened and I walked inside the office. This office was much different than Wheeler's office. The office looked simpler, and it looked like a more high-end office. Something, the CEO of a huge corporate entity would sit in. Unlike Wheeler's office, which looked retro with fancy stuff, this one was simpler and more modern looking. Then I saw Nelson. He looked somewhat short and chubby, and somehow, I felt he was muscular, but not as much as Wheeler is.

"Have a seat!" said Nelson. "I heard you've been very useful and helped Wheeler and the townsfolk of Vertigo Town plenty of times."

"I've done so, indeed!" said myself to Nelson. "He sent me to help you!"

"You're not the first errand boy he had!" said Nelson, chuckling. "I wonder how long you'll last! Your scrawny ass will be responsible for helping us, but you can't do shit alone. Not unless you take the aid of my highly trained boys. They're commandos, with elite MI-6, FBI, military, CIA, and KGB training."

"I think I can handle myself, thank you very much!" I told Nelson, not wanting to sound overconfident.

"Probably, but you've got no respect with me, at least!" said Nelson. "Unless you're willing to gain my respect, you've got nothing here to do!"

"Sir, with all due respect, I didn't come here to hear you berate me. I came here because I owe Wheeler my life, and that of my teammates!" I finally got irritated.

"Very well, your mission is to go down to the power station and wipe out all mutants and marauders there." Nelson said. "Take them all out, restore the power plant, and I'll make it worth your while."

I just walked out, to head straight towards the power station.