Chapter 44 - Back to Jordan City

Chapter 44 – Back to Jordan City

Wheeler's office, Vertigo Town
Arlington County, VA
Wednesday, May 6, 2076
19:38 EST GMT-5

We left the bar around six in the evening, but Wheeler called us to his office, and it was almost eight at night. It was unusual, as Wheeler himself would go home by seven. However, we were here.

"Ace, you've done a fabulous job, helping everyone in Vertigo Town, but as it turns out, Jordan City needs your help." Wheeler said.

"Wait, you've told us just some days ago, not to leave the city. Now you want us to go back over there, to save them?" I had to respond.

"For what it's worth, they're in just as need of protection, security and resources as we are." Wheeler said.

"I think now's a good time to tell you what they're after." I spoke. "They want the uranium. Mithra didn't just become an asteroid, and landed on Earth, someone back then forced it to land, using technology and satellite arrays made by NASA, SpaceX, and other government space exploration organizations."

"That is a very interesting piece of information!" said Wheeler. "We'll need to investigate further into this, but until then, you must go help the people at Jordan. Your team must stay behind, you must go, immediately. I'll make sure the shield walls and security doors will open only for you. Be back by midnight."

"Yes, sir!" I said to Wheeler.

After leaving the office, I turned to drop Aurora home. However, as we went to our vehicle, she then stopped me in my tracks.

"Ace, you're not going alone. I'm coming with you!" said Aurora. "We can do this together!"

"No, Julia. I can't afford to lose you!" I said to my love.

"I've just as much as experience better than any rookie, I can do it!" said Aurora.

"I can't let you do this; I'm scared to lose you!" I said again.

"I can't let you go alone!" insisted Aurora. "That's not a skill listed on my resume."

Truthfully, I'm not even sure if those were even still a thing. Sixty years ago, many companies in the American job market deprecated the requirement of having a cover letter, and back in 2028, I heard they'd do the same for resumes eventually, as Indeed.com, Career Builder, Dice.com, ZipRecruiter and other hiring online portals, switched over to social media hiring big time. Especially when the metaverse became a thing. I then sighed in defeat.

"Alright, then!" I said conceding to Aurora. "I love you!"

"I love you, too!" said Aurora.