Chapter 21 - Wiping Out the Power Station

Chapter 21 – Wiping Out the Power Station

Jordan City Power Station
Arlington County, VA
Thursday, April 30, 2076
14:57 EST GMT-5

Well, that asshole wasn't really friendly, I had to admit. Wheeler was much less of a dick that Nelson was. But it was what it was. Jesus Christ! Ever since we've woken out of hibernation, that phrase 'it was what it was', kept crossing my mind. I'd already arrived at the power station and wasted no time. I needed to find out where those freaks were and restore the power grid to one hundred percent efficiency.

The power station was located in an internal facility. It was dark, and the lighting was very poor. Once again, I made use of my night vision and heat sensor goggles. Yeesh, at least I could see those fools. I then took out my gun and got ready to shoot. I then equipped a silencer, mounting on the mouth of the gun.

"Hear that sound?" said a voice.

"Looks like we got company!" said another.

"Guards! Search the premises!" said a third voice.

I then engaged my bullets to explode upon impact. At least no one would be able to hear the gunfire itself, and where it was coming from. So, I got it too it. I saw one bogey come forth, and I shot at him. The bullet flew and hit him in the armor, but then exploded, seemingly killing him. I then shot another that came to the place of the explosion, and he also fell dead. I kept shooting, until I no longer saw any figures, but I knew I wasn't finished. I made my way through the power station, and found some couplings, which were undone.

"I.V.A.N.A, we need to fix this." I said to my AI assistant. "Know what to do?"

"There is a set of tools, locked up in the storage cabinet. I don't know the combination." I.V.A.N.A informed.

"Then, I'll need to find out." I said, as I started scouring the place, for any files.

I then came across a small device, it was an audio recorder, and then I played a file I saw in it. It was a recording from three years ago.

"This is Joel Sanders, power production manager, dated July 16, 2073." The recording went. "This is an audio log for fellow employees. I have secured my tools in the storage cabinet, near the power converter. Technicians should use the code 5-7-3 to access it. That is all, in my log report."

"Bullseye!" I told I.V.A.N.A. "Let's get to it!"

It took some time, but we got those couplings fixed, and we were done. I then turned the power switch to reach full potential. After that was done, I headed back to Nelson's office. The city now looked very well lit, and everything seemed to be back in working order. I then arrived at Nelson's office and entered. Nelson was at his desk playing Solitaire on his computer.

"I see you're back!" said Nelson. "Here's two thousand foxcoins. I've no more work for you at this time. Head back to Vertigo Town, and quickly before curfew. I've got no place for you to spend the night."

"Thanks!" I expressed my gratitude. "I'll leave you to it."