Chapter 29 - Finding Out More

Chapter 29 – Finding Out More

Wheeler's Office, Vertigo Town
Arlington County, VA
Friday, May 1, 2076
17:37 EST GMT-5

Finding out about George Kilmann was easy, finding out more about him faced a potential challenge. I went to Wheeler's office, if he didn't know of George Kilmann, I don't know who would. Wheeler was at his desk, as expected.

"Wheeler, what do you know about George Kilmann?" I asked. "That was the name I was given. That's what that marauder gave me."

No doubt Wheeler was shocked himself. Sounded like he heard the name. He then looked towards me.

"I take you know the guy?" I looked and him and spoke.

"I've only heard of him. Heard he was a dishonorable discharge in the Navy. He was the rank of lieutenant commander. Didn't sit well with him, went by a different name, George Kilmann, and must have started his own law enforcement and military group." Wheeler said. "He disappeared five years ago, after serving for ten years."

"Wow!" I exclaimed. "So, now how do we find out the real name?"

"It turns out Duke Nelson served in the Navy too, around the same time as Kilmann. He may know the answer to your question." Wheeler said.

"So, now what? I go back to Jordan City and take this up with him?" I asked.

"Bullseye!" said Wheeler. "Indeed, you'll need to be careful. If Kilmann truly is the leader of the Gunsmith Battalion, he'll already be aware that you know about him."

"I'll do whatever I can, but I promise to not let you down!" I said with full confidence.

"I'll let Nelson know you'll be there tomorrow, since it's almost curfew period!" said Wheeler. "Best of luck to you, Ace!"

"Thank you!" I said in delight.

Later that night, I told everything to Aurora and Ranger; the latter who came for dinner. They both gave concerned expressions. I told them it was for the best that I find out more about Kilmann and try to stop this from happening. I probably was wasting my time, but it was better to try than to do nothing at all.

"Austin, please!" said Aurora. "You don't need to do this, and if you insist, please don't go alone. Let me or Ranger come with you."

"I agree with her!" said Ranger. "You'd be putting yourself in danger if you go alone, remember the authorities already got their soldiers and drones looking for you."

"I say we all go then." I said to my friends. "Who knows, maybe some knowledge might light our path to ending this."