Chapter 18 - Conflict at the Bar

Chapter 18 – Conflict at the Bar

Shelley's bar, Vertigo Town
Arlington County, VA
Thursday, April 30, 2076
11:50 EST GMT-5

I immediately arrived at Shelley's Bar, knowing what was going on. I saw some protestors, holding signs, and attacking the robots. Sheriff Ross, Aurora and Ranger arrived in the nick of time too.

"These machines stole our jobs!" said one demonstrator.

"Got us fired! We have families to feed!" said another one.

"UBI ain't shit! They took away Social Security decades ago, as well as pension and job security. Now they approved these machines!" said a third.

Ross then took out his gun and shot a warning fire. I also grew my gun and pointed it at the protestors, Aurora and Ranger followed suit. Soon came a few more robots, with guns, called by Sheriff Ross. Everyone then stopped! The robots were still intact, thankfully. They were made of some indestructible alloy.

"This must stop, ASAP!" said Ross. "You'll be fined. These robots are worth more than anything you'll ever make in a month. If you damage them, you'll receive a huge fine, and up to five years in jail!"

"One day they'll take your job, too!" said a protestor. "Then you can't do shit!"

"The day that happens, I'll be prepared!" said Ross. "Now leave! And never come back!"

Javier then came to the bar himself, and then looked at Shelley.

"Babe? You okay?" said Javier.

"Yes, love!" said Shelley. "Thank you for coming!"

It was pretty clear that Shelley and Javier were dating. Shelley then came from behind her stall and kissed Javier. He kissed her back and they embraced.

"I was speaking to Ace, and then he called you." Javier said. "So, I came immediately."

"Thank you, so much!" said Shelley. "I'd like to offer y'all something to drink, on the house!"

"Do y'all have any bourbon?" asked Aurora.

"Sure, let me see." Shelley replied. "Unfortunately, we are out of Jack Daniel's and we don't restock until tomorrow."

"Whatever you have, we'll take." Ranger agreed, "We need it."

The sheriff then looked at us.

"One more thing, and this is law." He said. "Never drive your cars manually, when under the influence of alcohol. If you're drunk, put the car in autodrive. I think by now, we should do away with all manual controls, and rely only on Internet-powered GPS."

"Won't that be a grand idea?" I said laughing.

HOME BUT NOT HOMEजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें