Chapter 11 - After Sunset Curfew

Chapter 11 – After Sunset Curfew

Vertigo Town
Arlington County, VA
Wednesday, April 29, 2076
16:00 EST GMT-5

Shortly after returning with the crystals, I got back to the garage. Jerry was busy working on repairing a customer's vehicle. But saw me as I walked in. After he finished with his client, he came back to the front desk.

"Alright, I got him taken care of. I see you got the power crystals. Good, good! These cars are brand new. They need those power sources." Jerry explained.

"So now what?" I had to ask.

"Now you can your team, we've got terms to sort out. Also, remember. There is a curfew in this town from six o'clock in the evening until six o'clock in the morning. No one can come in and out of the city, during then. No exceptions. They started this new rule about ten years ago. Yes, it's a dumb rule I agree. You'd expect in today's day and age, everyone has freedom. But due to recent events with mutants and marauders, it's no longer safe." Jerry explained the rules. "You can still receive packages via drones in the middle of the night, they can bypass our security systems with ease."

"I see a lot of mankind, has regressed to how things were in the Middle Ages." I had to be sarcastic.

"It's not all too bad. All other businesses like restaurants, bars and casinos are opened past 6p." Jerry assured me.

With that, I called everyone in the team to come to the dealership. Everyone came and purchased the hovervehicles of their choice. We each got the car of our choice, and well it was reasonable for our present time, not to mention, we also got further military discounts.

"Before we check out our new homes, let's grab some drinks from Shelley's." I spoke.

"Let's do it." Aurora agreed.

"Why not?" said Ranger. "Forty-two years, in hibernation! It's about damn time!"

So, we went and headed off to the bar. Upon arriving, we saw the bar was crowded. Some playing cards, gambling, and making bets. Some playing five-finger fillet with daggers. Then some just having a good time, playing music on the jukebox.

"Hey, Shelley!" I saw her and reached out to her.

"Back for the drinks?" she asked.

"Hoo-ah!" I said.

We each got some good beer. Surprised they still had Bud Light, Miller, Budweiser, and Dos Equis, and other good beers, even after the apocalypse. We each grabbed two bottles. It was then when we were enjoying our beers, a big biker looking dude, come to our table.

"Hey, toots!" said the thug like dude to Aurora. "Wanna dance?"

"Not interested, I'm spoken for!" said Aurora, showing her the ring. "Besides, I'm much older than you, I just got out of hibernation."

"Lay off my girl you freak!" I said to him.

"Or what?" said the biker.

"That does it!" said Aurora.

She then grabbed the thug by his arm and twisted it. The dude yelped in pain. She then spun him around and knocked him down.

"Next time, you flirt with a girl, make sure she isn't taken, and is a soldier too!" said Aurora.

"Yes ma'am!" said the thug. "Well how about it? Y'all are the soldiers who've been hibernated?"

"Whose asking?" I asked.

"The leader of the racing gang, Dos Santero!" said the goon. "Racing is a huge sport in this town, we hold it every Thursday in the combat arena. If you choose to participate, let us know. Also, if you beat any of us, we not only give respect, but we'll assist you against those desert marauders and mutants."

"After trying to hit on my girlfriend, you think I'd accept?" I asked the leader, with honesty. "I can forgive you, but you best not harass her again."

"Done deal!" said the leader, with a smile. "My name is Miguel by the way, Miguel Ferrara."

"Austin Moore, call-signed 'Ace'!" I introduced myself. "Captain in the US Space Force. We accept your offer."