Chapter 1.

"Truth or dare?"

"I'm not playing," I announce, getting up from my warm spot on the couch.

"Your mom is getting married, Layla. Try to have some fun," my cousin Brett laughs, sipping from his red solo cup. Iris and I might be drinking soda but Brett is old enough to have alcohol.

"When is the grooms family getting here?" Iris asks.

"Tuesday," I answer, heading over to beverage cart to grab some more sprite.

My cousins giggle and I roll my eyes because I know what's coming.

"So, Grayson Wallace will be here on Tuesday."

Grayson is a bit of a celebrity around here. My cousins are obsessed with him and excited for his arrival. Apparently his father got arrested a long time ago for being a serial killer. His uncle, Hale, took him in shortly after that. I've only met Grayson once, and it was very brief.

Meeting him was odd, and his voice gave me the chills, I was thankful to not have met him again.  He was in college and I just started senior year when my mom and his uncle started getting serious so I didn't have to see him much. But in the fall I'm going to be in college too, and it turns out we go to the same one.

"I guess," I say, slumping back into the couch in the family room upstairs. "Don't be weird around him. Hale says he's sensitive."

"Sensitive? More like a ticking time bomb," Brett laughs.

I've heard it all before. Dangerous, temperamental, scary, just like his father. But all of that doesn't sit right with me. Clearly he's his own person? I'd hate to have to be reduced down to the actions of someone else.

"It's late guys, let's shut things down for the night," Aunt Caroline says entering the family room.

I look up at the clock on the wall that sits above the large TV. It's almost midnight. It's just mom and Uncle Jack at the moment but Aunt Leah and her family will be here in two weeks.

The wedding is still far, seven weeks away to be exact. But it's family tradition, at least on my moms side, to get together every summer. And this summer is, of course, a lot more special because my mom is getting married for the first time ever.

I live in this home that belongs to my grandparents with my mom, and Brett and Iris live next door at my Uncle Jack's and Aunt Caroline's house. My moms family is very wealthy, all of them, so naturally the houses are big and luxurious.

I head down the halls towards my room. When I get there Grandma and Mom are sitting on my bed.

"Hello," I smile, sitting between them on the edge of my bed. Grandma immediately starts playing with my hair.

"Our girl is all grown up," She sighs and my mom rests her chin on my shoulder.

"Tell me about it, Grandma. She's finally getting married."

They both laugh and my mom swats my arm.

"We're here because we have to deliver some unfortunate news," Mom says.

I think I already know but I ask anyway. "What's wrong?"

"Your father can't make it, he has to be in Spain that week for work."

I let out a breath. I knew it. But shit, it still hurts like hell.

My mom kisses my cheek. "I'm sorry, baby girl. He wants to see you before he leaves."

"How long will he be gone for?"

Grandma tucks my hair behind my ear.

"He says 2 months, give or take, but it could be longer."