Chapter 7.

I haven't slept all night. Climbing the roof was not an option so I booked it upstairs to my room and shut the door. I think no one noticed. After slipping out of my wet, chlorine-smelling dress, I changed into sweats and a T-shirt and got under my covers.

But sleep has not welcomed me, and now it's dawn and the sun is going to be up soon enough. I lay in my bed a little longer until sunlight starts peeking through my curtains.

Coffee, I decide. I need a big cup of coffee.

I barely manage to get ready for the day. After putting on some simple clothes and brushing my teeth while my eyes feel heavy, I head downstairs. My heart feels heavy, too. Last night feels like a fever dream.

Everyone already seems to be up and eating breakfast in the kitchen.

"Hey, Laylabug," Grandpa smiles, reading his newspaper with his empty plate in front of him. "We missed you last night. You disappeared."

"I wasn't feeling well. I was pretty much in my room all night."

Iris and Brett are also at the table along with their parents conversing with Nate about his life in Africa. Hale and my mom are close together and giggling as they chat as per usual. Grayson's at the coffee machine. I walk over to it.

"Oh, you poor thing," Grandma cries. "I'll make you some chicken soup today."

Grayson is putting creamer in his coffee as his eyes meet mine. "How are you?" he asks, quietly.

"Shitty." I sigh, grabbing a mug from the cabinet above. "Sleep was not my friend last night. It was my sworn enemy keeping its distance."

"Me too," he agrees.

"Did you get plastered last night or something?" Iris asks loudly as I sit down at the table with my coffee.

"What? No?"

"You look like shit," she says and Brett nods in agreement.

"Aw, thank you, guys. Every girl loves to hear those words in the morning."

"Layla," Grandma starts. "Is that true? You have had a hard week. First your dad and then Liam."

No, Grandma. Someone tried to drown me so I haven't slept all night, but thanks for the cheeky reminder.

"I told you guys I wasn't feeling well. I just didn't get much sleep."

"And where were you all night?" Nate interrupts the conversation, his attention directed at Grayson as he sits down next to Grandpa. The table goes quiet.

"I was here," Grayson answers.

Nate crosses his arms. "Likely story."

Grayson raises his eyebrows in challenge. "Where do you think I was? Out murdering people? Storing their bodies in the backyard?"

Nate turns to our mom. "This is who you want in your house? Someone who thinks jokes like that are funny? You want this person around your daughter?" Then to Grandma and Grandpa. "Around your grandkids?"

A feeling of anger shoots through me and I'm surprised to feel it towards my brother. But once I feel it, I can't seem to shake it away. Where does he get the nerve? He lives on a whole other continent and barely ever calls or visits and now he's suddenly concerned?

"For all we know he's a sadist just like his father."

"Nate!" My mom exclaims.

"Wow," Grayson smirks. I can tell he's pretending not to be bothered by what my brother just said. "Tell me how you really feel."