Chapter 3.

"Stop looking at me like that."

We're at least five miles out of Ty's house now. I have no idea where we're going. I'm too shocked to even ask.

"Like what?" I can barely hear my own voice.

"Like you're going to piss your pants if I don't pull over right now."

"I might just," I mumble.

I'm not even sure which street we're on, all I know is that it's empty and dark. Grayson abruptly pulls over to the side of the road and puts his car in park.

"Who invited you to that party?" He asks, staring at me from the driver's seat.

I don't answer his question, instead, I press the unlock button and step out of the car.

"Where are you going?" He follows me out of the car.

"I'm going home."

Grayson laughs but it's humorless. "You don't even know where we are."

"What do you want?" I ask, turning around. He stands there by his car with a satisfied look on his face.

He opens his mouth to respond but at the same time a police car speeds by us, sirens ringing loud with flashing lights.

Grayson watches the police car until it's out of our line of vision and I can't help but wonder why that held his attention. Maybe he's used to seeing cop cars. And possibly being inside them.

"Get back inside the car, Layla."

"Why? Where are you taking me?"

Grayson scoffs. "Home. Where the hell else would I be taking you?"

"This isn't the way back home," I say.

"I wasn't aware there was only one way around town."

Grayson Wallace confuses the hell out of me.

"Thanks for ruining my night," I grumble, getting back into the car.

He pulls out of the road, rubbing a hand along his jaw. "I did you a favor."

Layla: Going home. Sorry guys.

I fire off the text to the cousins' group chat and put my phone back in my pocket.

The clouds overhead are heavy, and the night darker than usual. It's going to rain tonight, maybe even pour.

"How do those guys know you?" I find myself asking into the silence. Grayson keeps his eyes on the road but as I'm watching him I notice how his breathing changes ever so slightly.

"I don't know them."

"I feel like you're lying to me," I say. "And you never answered my question this morning either, even though I answered yours, so that's not really fair."

"Do you ever stop talking?"

I cross my arms, satisfied with myself. "No, I don't. And by the way, if you had taken my route home we would have been there like thirty minutes ago."

Grayson turns onto the next street. "If you hadn't gotten out of the car we would have been home a lot sooner. And if you're so eager to be home why did you go to that party in the first place?"

I know the answer to that. The question is if I want to share the answer with Grayson or not. "Someone asked me to come and I didn't want to say no."

"That's pathetic."

I actually laugh. "You're really fucking mean, has anyone ever told you that?"

"I think when people meet me they're too preoccupied with other thoughts than getting a feel for if I'm nice or mean."