Chapter 39.

GRAYSON

Grayson: Have you seen Layla tonight?

Unknown: Actually I have. She's here at Chelsea Adams's party.

Grayson: Where?

Unknown: Helming Ave. House #97.

Grayson: Can you keep an eye on her, please? I'll be there in fifteen.

Unknown: Sure, Gray.

I sigh and stuff my phone into my pocket as I give Hale, who's currently driving aimlessly around town, the address James just gave me.

We finally get there after what feels like a painfully long car ride, and I run up to the house. Kade follows behind me. Hale stands by the car on the street, waiting.

My heart hammers in my chest as I step inside the house. Ever since we realized she was gone I have had this terrible feeling in my stomach. Can I even trust James? This might be another setup for something.

But Layla is worth the risk.

Kade and I split. He takes one half of the house and I take the other. We meet back up in the middle by the living room.

"She's not down here," he says loudly over the music.

"Let's check upstairs." I start walking toward the stairs and Kade follows closely behind me.

I open the first door on the right and see James. He's leaning down with his attention on someone I can't see. He turns around and I feel my heart sink.

Layla is standing there, crying. Then her eyes meet mine. I rush over to her and that's when I notice her neck. It's all red with indications that someone had their hands around her there.

I think I'm going to be sick

She collapses into me, sobbing. "I'm sorry, Grayson. I'm so sorry."

"Who did this to her?" I ask James who looks like he's in shock. My voice breaks. I hold onto Layla tightly as she cries into my chest.

"I don't know," James answers quickly. "I saw her go upstairs and I saw the guy follow her so I came up. I've never seen him before. I think she called him Liam?"

Liam.

"Go get Hale," I tell Kade. He immediately rushes off. Then I give Layla my full attention. She's quiet now, but the tears keep falling.

"Do you want to sit down? Tell me what happened?"

She nods once. I walk us over to the bed and sit us down. She continues to hold onto me tightly. I'm trying hard to stay composed for her sake.

She needs me right now. I keep trying to remind myself of that. I'm fighting myself harder than I ever have before. For her.

"It was all a lie," she says and I notice the slight rasp in her voice.

"What was?"

She dries her eyes with the sleeve of her T-shirt and immediately wraps her arm around me again.

"He's the one. He's obsessed with your father. He wanted to hurt me to hurt you, for your father. That's what he said."

God. I'm really trying to keep it together. Liam is the one my father has been talking to? What the fuck.

Hale bursts through the door.

"Oh my god, Layla. Kade told me what happened. Are you okay?"

Layla lets go of me, stands up, and nods as Hale hugs her. I get up too.