Chapter 20.

It feels like hours have passed since I hung up on Grandpa. Kade is still passed out. And Grayson hasn't stopped staring at a spot on the pavement, only blinking and breathing. The anger has set in his expression, and in my heart, I know he won't let this go.

I sit beside Kade and push his hair away from his forehead. He looks like he's sleeping. It's eerie.

The wind has picked up. I push my hands into the pocket of my hoodie. Grandpa's car finally pulls in. He stops in the middle of the street and rushes out toward us. I get up and wait on the sidewalk.

"Are you okay, Layla?" He asks, worried, as he pulls me into a hug.

"Yeah, I'm fine, Grandpa." I look back at Grayson and Kade; neither has moved an inch. "They, however, are not doing too great. We went inside for like ten minutes to find Kade. The car was like this when we came back out."

Grandpa takes in the damage and clicks his tongue. "It could have been worse. At least they didn't damage the paint or body." Grandpa walks over to the boys. I stay where I am. "Grayson," he starts, a little loud. "Let's get Kade into my car."

Grayson snaps to attention and quickly lifts himself off the ground, helping my Grandpa get Kade up from the grass. I watch them walk Kade over to the car and sit him in the back.

"Hale is going to kill me," Grayson exhales, shutting the car door.

"I've already made a few calls. A friend of mine is going to take care of it, don't worry. I'll talk to your uncle about all of this."

Grayson looks astonished. "Why, David? Why go through all this trouble for someone like me?"

Grandpa sighs. "Someone like you? What does that mean, Grayson? Are you not human? Do you not deserve compassion or love?"

Grayson stays silent. I watch from the sidelines.

"It's not any trouble to me. There are a lot of people in this town who owe me. As I said, don't worry. Let me handle it." Grandpa waves me over. "And let me get you kids home."

I walk over to the car and stand beside Grayson.

"Take care of Kade for me, okay?" He says in a low voice.

"No. Get inside the car, Grayson. If you want to retaliate, fine. But, please, not right now. We've dealt with enough today."

I think back at the last twelve hours and sigh. Grayson stands there with his hands in his pockets as the anger in his expression deepens.

My voice goes soft, and I want to grab his hand, touch his arm, or do something. "You know I'm right."

He crosses his arms, looking down at me, angry. "What exactly are you right about?"

"If you go now, you'll make a rash decision and possibly do something you'll regret. Take some time to think about this."

He scoffs. "Oh, I've thought. I've thought long and hard, Layla."

I shake my head. "Get in the car."

"Listen to her," Grandpa says from the other side of the vehicle. "My granddaughter is smart."

Grayson opens the passenger door. "Your granddaughter is a pain in my ass," he mutters before slipping inside.

I walk to the other side of the car, relieved, and sit beside Kade. His head falls to my shoulder.

"Is Kade going to be okay?" I ask as Grandpa drives off.

Grayson sighs. "He's fine. He just needs to sleep it off."