Chapter 12.

The clouds overhead are dark, grey, and heavy. Any moment now the sky will open up and pour down on the town. I make my way down the driveway to Mom's car since mine is still back in the city.

I'm heading over to the Elliot's place. They left for vacation yesterday and Ruth has already sent me a list of things she wants done for this week. I'm getting an early start since Iris will be back tomorrow and she'll probably want to hang out.

The wind picks up and I tuck my hands into the pocket of my hoodie. Grayson told me not to do this and I don't know why. Sure, I could have found something else to keep me busy. It's a big town with lots to do and lots of jobs, but because he told me not to, it makes me want to do it even more.

I want to know why, but he obviously won't tell me. Dinners have been quiet and sometimes uncomfortable lately and I avoid his eyes whenever we're in the same room, but I haven't given up yet.

Why? Why am I so interested in knowing?

There are about five weeks left until the wedding and my mom and Hale have been busy working with the planners and getting everything ready to go.

I hop in my mom's Volkswagen and she drives off. She needs the car for errands with Hale later so she agreed to drop me off. When I get to the house my jaw drops in surprise. It's massive. Every house in this neighborhood is uniquely built and large.

I pull out my phone to read the email Ruth sent me.

Ruth Elliot:

Hey, Layla. I hope you're well. Here is a list of things my husband and I would like you to do this week.

- Collect the mail

- Sweep and mop the kitchen.

- Water all the plants.

- Turn the lights on and off during the duration of your stay.

- Take notes on any voicemails and please send the notes through email to me.

Thank you!

"Let me know when you're all done and we'll come get you," she says. I nod and slip out of the car.

We. That's going to take some getting used to. They've been together for a while, but this is different.

I slip my phone into my pocket and pull out the house key. After I open the door I tuck it straight back into my pocket to make sure I don't lose it.

The first thing I notice is how eerily quiet it is. The inside is just as beautiful as the outside and I'm surprised people actually live here. As I make my way through the house I turn on a few lights, passing by framed family portraits and expensive art.

The kitchen looks like it wasn't cleaned before the family left. There's dust and crumbs scattered over the counters and floors. That doesn't surprise me considering the Elliot's have a bunch of little ones.

I find the cleaning supplies in a closet by the dining room and bring everything I need back to the kitchen. I start off by dusting the counters and then I proceed to sweep the entire kitchen. I'm practically sweating by the time I'm done. It's not a small kitchen.

I'm getting ready to fill up the mop bucket when I hear a sound from the front of the house. I still, listening closely to see if it was just my imagination. The door slams and my heart starts to race. Nope. Not my imagination.

I'm about to crouch beneath the counter when I hear laughter. A boy's deep chuckle.

"That's fine, Luke. My parents are gone anyway. Took the little devils with them."