Chapter 47.

GRAYSON

Talk about a fucking cock block.

I'm an animal.

My supposed uncle is standing four feet away from me and all I can think about is if I can have five minutes alone with Layla. Right now.

Pull yourself together, Gray.

I sigh and stand straighter.

"I heard about you. Apparently, you live in London."

Levi steps forward. "Lived in London. I just moved back to the States." His eyes turn to Layla and he smiles at her.

Don't smile at her. Don't even look at her. 

Should I grow a beard too? He looks damn good with one.

What the fuck, Gray?

"So, what are you doing here?" I ask.

"I'm here for you. I want you to live with me. I want you to be my brother."

I scoff. "Yeah, I think I'm going to prison, Levi. So, good luck with that."

I feel Layla tense behind me.

He nods. "Yes, I heard about that. They said your girlfriend begged and pleaded to let you go the night of your arrest. After she called the police on you, that is. The officers were very confused. But I was utterly moved, Michael. I didn't realize you had people who cared about you here."

I clear my throat, not giving him a response.

He gestures to Layla with his hand. "Is this her?"

"This is Hale's stepdaughter. Or she will be. After today."

Understanding passes over Levi's face and a hint of playfulness. "Your father used to say you always wanted the things you were told you couldn't have." He slips his hands into his pockets. "I was too young to understand what that meant. But I know it now."

I ignore him. "My name is Grayson."

Levi sucks his teeth before he laughs. It's such a sophisticated laugh, but in it, all I see is my father. "Right. The name your mom had picked originally. If only your dad had less sway with her."

I shrug. "Well he never got her to stop using ... so I guess he didn't have that much sway."

"No," Levi agrees then pauses to think for a moment. "Grayson, I was so young when it all happened. And before that, I was never close to my brother. We shared the same father but had different mothers. That always put a wedge between our relationship. Now I know it was for the better. Michael Wallace is a terrible man."

"He's a monster," I say, meaning it. Though I could say a lot worse about that sick fuck.

Levi nods, casually. He's so calm.

"So, what are you doing here?"

"Well, you see—"

As Levi is answering, Hale emerges from around the corridor.

"Layla, there you are—" Hale pauses, eyes flashing between me and Layla. Then a frown appears over his mouth. He sighs. "Your mom is looking for you."

Layla clears her throat behind me. "Um ... where is she?"

Hale pinches the bridge of his nose. "Room 112. Knock when you get there."

I realize I'm still holding onto her and let go. Layla nods as her warm skin leaves my grasp. I give her a look as she walks off. When I turn back to Hale, he's scowling at me.