Chapter 30.

(Trigger warning for this chapter - mentions of drug abuse)

GRAYSON

I know exactly what the note meant. Darkness. Night. Whoever wrote that is talking about Layla. And they want me to know it.

I should have never let her get close. I should have kept my distance from the start. But, fuck, she made it impossible.

And now ... now I have to push her away when that's the last thing I want. Friends. Friends, she says. She needs to understand that I can't do that. I can't be her friend. But for her, I'll try. For her, I'll do anything.

The gate slides open with a slight whine. We've passed security, and now an officer leads us to the visiting room. I think my hands are starting to sweat.

We walk down a corridor, and the officer stops before another gate. "He'll just be through here now," he says. "If you're ready, I'll let you through."

I blow out a shaky breath.

"Give us a few minutes, please," David says beside me. The officer nods and steps away, waiting out of earshot.

"You never talked to me about your father ... in therapy."

David smiles slightly. "That's because I was helping you, Gray. What kind of Psychologist would I be if I dumped all my problems on you?"

I nod. "So, you understand that this is hard for me."

David sighs. "I understood it six years ago when I first saw you. When I first saw that look in your eyes. You were fourteen and frightened. Skinny like you hadn't been fed in weeks. And when you walked through my office doors, it felt like I had been punched in the gut because all I could see was a younger version of myself."

He pauses for a moment. "You have seen terrible things, Gray. Terrible things anyone, including me, can't even begin to imagine. And I'm sorry. You didn't deserve that. You deserved a better mother and father, but unfortunately, you don't get to choose when you're that young. Now you have the opportunity to choose. He's not your dad, and he never will be. He has no power over you. Not anymore."

"Thanks, David. For ... everything. I know I've never said it, but ... you helped me a lot."

He beams, clapping me on the shoulder. "You've grown up to be such a wonderful man. And know I'm right by you, on your team. I always will be."

David Langley reminds me that good people are still left in this world.

"Okay," I nod, releasing another breath. "I'm ready."

The officer walks back over and slides his card over the scanner.

"I'll be behind you," David says. "Let me know if you need me."

The gate slides open. David walks over to the benches, and the officer walks me to the visiting section. I can see him sitting behind the glass, waiting with his eyes cast down. My heart beats loud and fast.

I sit down in the cubicle. His eyes shoot up. I pick up the phone. He picks up the phone on his end.

"Hello, Michael."

Fuck. It's like looking into a mirror.

"That's not my name."

His lip twitches. "Michael Grayson Wallace Jr. You're my son. I think I know what your name is."

I tighten my grip on the phone. "I'm not your son. And my name is Grayson Wallace."

He rests his free hand flat on the surface of the small table. He's chained. "Well, I can't believe you showed up. You are a hard man to reach. And look at you ... all grown up. Tall, strong, and handsome."