Chapter 19.

When I leave my washroom, Grayson is still watching the movie on my bed.

I walk over to my vanity, pull the towel off my head, and comb out my wet tangles. I reach over and press play on my playlist. Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince starts playing from my small speaker.

"Could you turn that down?" I hear Grayson ask.

"No."

I squeeze out some of my vanilla-scented moisturizer and rub it all over my arms.

"You're missing the movie."

I laugh. "Grayson, I've seen it probably over six times. I'm not missing anything."

"Who does Melanie end up with?" He questions, all curious.

"I'm not telling you."

He sighs, annoyed. I continue my post-shower routine, moisturizing my face, legs, and lips, and finish off by putting some product in my hair.

I walk over to Grayson. "Would you put my necklace on for me?"

He's so distracted it takes him half a minute to look at me with a confused expression. "You want to wear a necklace to bed?"

"It was my Grandma's," I explain. "I only ever take it off to shower."

Grayson looks at the necklace I just placed in his palm. "This doesn't look like Margaret's style."

"No, stupid, this was Grandma Esther's. She passed away three years ago."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

I giggle, grabbing his face with one hand. "You're so cute."

Grayson's cheeks immediately flush pink. "Come on, sit down," he says, sitting upright. "So, who does this for you when I'm not here?" He asks softly by my ear as I pull my hair out of the way.

I close my eyes, desperately fighting back the urge to shiver. "Usually me. But if you're here, I might as well put you to work."

"Damn," he laughs, bringing the necklace to my neck. "I'm being used."

"See, you're starting to understand."

I feel his breath on the back of my neck, and I'm questioning whether letting him do this was a good idea.

"It's pretty," he says.

"It is." I'm not sure if he's clasped it yet.

I look down at the cherry blossom pendant. It was Grandma Esther's favorite kind of flower.

Grayson's hand suddenly finds the pendant, and I let go of my hair, assuming he's clasped it. He traces the flower with his pointer finger while the rest of his fingers rest on my chest.

I close my eyes again and try to control my breathing. He's just looking at it, Layla. It's not a big deal.

"Would you wear it forever?" His voice is quiet.

I clear my throat, opening my eyes. "What do you mean?"

He picks up the pendant, his knuckles brushing my skin. "Say someone else gave you a necklace. Like your boyfriend or husband, would you take this one off?"

I shrug as he places the pendant down and moves his hand away. "I don't know. It depends on how much I like them."

When I turn around, Grayson is smiling.

"What?" I ask.

He shrugs with that smile on his face. "Nothing. That was a good answer."

"What's yours?" I ask, pointing to his neck. I always see the chain peeking out of his shirt and from the back of his neck, but it's always covered.